• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Great Snow And Ice of Louisville.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Well I was pleasantly surprised to drive my M35A2 in the Snow and Ice of Louisville without any problems. I didn't expect to get that much traction out of the standard NDT's but they seemed to really grip the snow and ice. Now we got maybe 6 inches of snow in two snowstorms in Louisville which is by Louisville standards the same as getting 18-24inches in my hometown of Windham, New York. And we got about 1-3inches of pure ice on top of that snow. I was really surprised how much ice we got but still the tires weren't bad. The truck didn't slide at all: both in 6x6 configuration or 6x4 configuration. The truck seemed really stable and surefooted even when pushed hard on inclines that were icy. I went up a thirty degree incline that was pure ice and snow at 15mph in third gear low range. That surprised me that the truck didn't even attempt to slide at all.

So I'm curious how much snow can this truck plow through with say a full set of chains duals on the rear and intermediate axles plus set on the front? I would say 26inches or more should be doable without chains until the rear wheels clog with snow and become one big snowball. And of course with tire pressure adjusted correctly for maximum traction. However, I'm curious how much of a pig is this truck is with snow chains on? Are we talking 30 plus inches of snow no problem?

Rolling_Eudaimonia

We got about 5 inches today and its 60% gone so I didnt even try to play with the Duece in it :roll: . I have seen guys bulldoze snow in them though .
If I had that much to play in I would have been out before the snow melted... I would have been blazing trails in the snow. Why because I love to play in the snow. Especially with big Diesel Toys!

Jakob

Unfortuneatly my truck is still down, awaiting a new clutch. Hopefully, I'll be ready to put that in once in warms up a little. If you could and want to help wrench one of these weekends, let me know and I'll give you a call when I get the parts.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Unfortuneatly my truck is still down, awaiting a new clutch. Hopefully, I'll be ready to put that in once in warms up a little. If you could and want to help wrench one of these weekends, let me know and I'll give you a call when I get the parts.
Sure, I'd be more than happy to help you out... I'll bring my Pepsi and my helpful hands...

What about power-shifting? you know match the rpms to the speed range and shift away...

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think these trucks could make it through 30" of snow with 9.00x20 tires. But I have never tried it nor had the chance to. I have gone through a 2 foot snow drift for 50 yards though.

BSH

You speak of going out in snow, but you show no pics?!? C'mon! The only thing cooler than pics of deuces in mud is deuces in snow! Or is it the other way around...

jimm1009

deuce in the snow

nopics

rofl

so worthless without pics.

Sorry, I had to do it.
I'm from the snow country too but have none in Louisiana where I now reside.
I really do miss those 3 foot drifts in my drive but I had no Deuce back then.

Can I come to Kentucky and spend a week in the snow with you guys...PLEASE??????????????????

Give me snow!!!!!!!

Rolling_Eudaimonia

You speak of going out in snow, but you show no pics?!? C'mon! The only thing cooler than pics of deuces in mud is deuces in snow! Or is it the other way around...
I was sorely lacking a camera as I would mostly drive from 2am-10am shift from UPS drive around town and help people out then go to bed for the next 2am-10am shift... Without my naps I'm worthless. So I don't have any pictures.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I don't think these trucks could make it through 30" of snow with 9.00x20 tires. But I have never tried it nor had the chance to. I have gone through a 2 foot snow drift for 50 yards though.
The dual tires do have the problem of getting snow stuck inbetween them, but with the chains that should be reduced. this problem somewhat. Of course the super singles should be better in the snow. However, I believe with the chains and about 4,000lbs of stuff in the back the truck should plow through snow like nobody's business.

So how well did it go through the 24inches of snow???

NorthWoodsDuce

I have dual 9.00x20's w/ Chains all around (front and back). Only issue I have ever had is getting stuck on the chassis. :( Went through one of my fields two winters ago to pull out a friends 1/2tonner chevy... lets just say I never made it there untill I retrieved my skidsteer... I hit a big snow drift that I couldn't tell was there, there was so much snow packed under the truck... was kinda fun in its own strange way....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks