• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The green disease finally struck

lstmate

Well I finally took the plunge, big time!!!! Instead of buying one green machine I took the plunge and bought 2. I recently bought a M135 in Ohio and am waiting on delivery..... I ran across a M38A1 near me that I just could not walk away from. The Jeep will be a frame up resto but am hoping with minimal work and some paint I can start using the M135 in parades and events.

Even as I sit here writing this I can not believe I bought 2 MV's.

Just to help some understand what they are looking at, a previous owner started converting this tub from a MV to a civilian jeep (who knows why). This can be seen by the plate and body work covering where the 24V recepticale should be. The indention and hole are there but covered over. The tub is pretty solid and the jeep has been stored inside for 7 of the last 10 years and for the last 3 in a shed.

I will add some pics of the M135 when I find the right memory card.

Attachments

Last edited:

zout

Here is an abortion view of the CA rack. It does come in handy as the Onan generator is up there and fuel cell. It also holds 6 - 5 gallon cans of fuel/water. I used their schematics for this - but hacked them up a bit.

Attachments

islandguydon

Zout, Behind the AC is a rack, Is that the Range Rover rack made to hold a spare tire and fuel cans..? Also how exactly did you attach the rack above the cab. I am impressed with your project. Looks good.

LSTMATE, welcome you have your work cut out for yourself. Good luck with your labor of love.

zout

I would have to look back in my external hard drive for the pictures of the build.

M109Guy from the Canadian site pointed the conception of the rack out to me a couple yrs ago. On their site somewhere is the diagram and schematics for what was shown previous to my picture - theirs was an open rack with sides.

I used the basic pattern - then added the front air dam piece which is closed in on the nose but open from the back to tuck stuff into that. The carrier rack added to the back is a "step up" raised platform I believe 9 to 10 inches wide.

The fuel cans go up there and as well the battery for the Onan Microlite Generator RV2800 is up there in a sealed box (marine style). I do tie a light cargo strap around the containers just to keep fhen from shuffling around up there.

All the grandkids bikes go up there (4) when we go camping - firewood - whatever - plenty of room. Put a couple lounge chairs up there - get an aerial view and sip on beers as well.

The main support is from the 4 leg postions:
One leg each side of the windshield frame - have to use spacers inside the framework as it is hollow.
Once leg each side right behind the window openings - leaves just enough room for the doors to close.
Both of these are vertical legs - the rear legs bolt though the skin of the cab - but then use flat plate steel on the inside for the additional support.

Once you have your leg support - you can built any style you like - just watch height and weight what you put up there - it may collapse onto your noggin into the cab.

islandguydon

I am impressed, will you be at the Rally......? I would like to get some close up pics for a 109 I'm picking up.. Thanks for the response and hope the thread was not hijacked...Peace out...

zout

ISTmate - as well as Island - intent was not to hijack - just kind of extending the concept of what you could do for a rack if you wanted one.

I do like the jeep and that will make a great project and look forward to more pictures as you start banging on it.
Start looking now for the pee shooter that sticks between the windshields.

Island - here is the Canadian link for what they build close up - look at the left under RV Project. Between Maccus here on SS and M109Guy - they are to blame for my trucks. MilitaryTrucks.ca Website - For Sale
ABSOLUTELY will be at the 2011 Ga Rally - is it here yet.

lstmate

I will probably be looking to sell or trade that windshield for the regular windshield. I am not sure that this orginally had the pee shooter installed. The defroster vents do not match between the body and the windshield is the main reason I do not think it was the orginal windshield. ALL data plates are missing so at this point I think I can make it whatever I want.

I plan to mainly use it in parades so I will need as much seating as I can get......

I did appreciate the overhead storage rack but at this time I do not anticipate the need for one. Of course if that changes I know where to look for resources to build one.

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

If you weren't a few hundred miles away I would offer you my CJ5 windshield (single piece) for your cut-out one. I would love to have one of those and make up a recoiless rifle from PVC for parades.

Out of curiosity how much would you want for it?

lstmate

Not even thinking about it yet. Will let you know when I get that far. Right now trying to get garage clean enough to get it inside and begin the journey.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks