• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The green disease is spreading

Grimm21

I tried years ago to buy a m60 tank when they were being rotated out of service many of them were filled with concrete and dumped off the jersey shore to make a artificial reef I am sure many members here would cry to know such impressive machines were dumped in the sea to rust. Unfortunately no one wanted to open there pockets and help me buy one they thought I was nuts wanting to buy a 55 ton main battle tank. So long story short I have had this bug for quite a long time but now I can make things happen so it brings me to this point.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally bought my first 5 ton a beautiful m923a1. View attachment 614724
Congrats , nice truck. The tires suggest it is a M923. A1s are equipped with 14.00 x 20 super single tires mounted on two piece combat wheels. The 11.00 x 20 tires ride better and are maintained easier. When your ready to mod the oil filter assemble, I have the spin on filter adapter kits listed in the classified. Read the operator's manual. Have fun.
JC

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this hobby actually brings us PLEASURE, why do we so often call it a "Dis-Ease"?

Just askin'. Carry on.
Is "addiction" a better word to use, perhaps?

I was once a sensible lad who just liked MV's. Then an evil relative pointed out all the lovely Unimogs for sale cheap in Switzerland, and how relatively inexpensively a really nice one could be imported in a container. So I did.

After that, well.........:shrugs:

Cheers

Grimm21

Thank you scar I will keep you in mind when I'm ready to do the filter conversion. The truck was rebuilt in 2010 or 11 I don't remember which without going out to look. I need a little more education as to the designations of a1 and a2 I was under the impression that a1 could have either super singles or standard duels. The a2 had strictly the super singles. Please anyone chime in with a educated answer. Thanks

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a quick ID of in-service trucks -

M939 (often referred to on here as M939A0 for clarity)- NHC250 engine, 11.00s
M939A1 - NHC250 and 14.00s
M939A2 - 6CTA 8.3 engine, 14.00s, CTIS

Post service, many owners have put 14.00s on A0s, and 11.00s on A1/2s, to suit their personal needs/desire, so it isn't a hard rule.

If the truck has a winch, it will have a slightly different designation, rather than just W/W added (as in M813A1 W/W). M931A2 is a tractor without a winch, M932A2 is the same tractor with a winch on it.
Again, sometimes they have been retrofitted, or removed, so it's a general way to identify. For some reason, the Marines had quite a few winchless trucks with M932 data plates.

Cheers

Last edited: