• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The key to a good deuce buy

GearSpec

So gentleman correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather.... year is less important than features.

As far as resell and people who will want it etc.. not much of a difference between a 67 and a 77 is there?

From what I have read and seen sell out there... the things to look for are

Hard Top
Winch
Bows & Canopy

is there anything else, and are those in the right order?

Thanks!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on what is important to you, including the price! Year is not that important. Most deuces between 67 and 77 have all been updated with the same engines, major features, etc. Winches are great but you may not need one, if you don't, it will save at least $1K off the selling price. Bows and canopy are great too, but do you need it? If you are camping in the back, or want your stuff to be kept dry, you need it. If you plan on using it as a work truck, you might not. Hard top vs. Soft Top: riding in a deuce with a hard top is quieter, and you get more insulation in the winter, but you can't put the top down easily in the summer.

Bottom line is, think about what is important to you. What are you using it for? What might you use it for in the future? What conditions do you plan on driving it in?

I have a great little deuce I'm selling, it is a non-winch truck, no bows or cargo cover, and a soft top, and I'm sure there's somebody out there who will love it just as much as a winch, cargo covered, hard top truck...

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,If I am on GL I look for odd ball stuff like My last purchase.Hitch on teh front bumper.Twin springers with custom seat material,high rise rear cover,Etc.That usually means the truck wasn't a weekend worrior truck.This one was either a supply truck or a maint truck.Someone was given liberty with this truck.When I got it it had a GREAT running engine.Nearly perfect body.Another truck wrecker got and sold(read-gave away) had some more subtle tell tells.On GL you could see a brand new radiator(shinny) and brand new golden(Grade 8) bolts holding the rear axles in place.When he got it home found out it had a brand new radiator,Engine(paint hadn't even cracked on the hoses yet),New trans,New looking transfer,and rebuilt axles.Still had a few small things wrong even after all this stuff but a great truck!

Michael

Spring seats are nice, or is it air ride? Heaters should be pretty high up on the list because they are hard to find NOS. You can buy the canvas reasonable from the manufacturer with or without the bows.

GearSpec

Well from what I gather power steering is only on the A2, is that right?
and mileage should be what, under 30k?

Power steering i think is standard on the A3s, am not sure. Im working on making up a kit or parts for a do it yourself kit for guys that will make power steering affordable. (shooting for half the price of a standard kit now)

DanMartin

Power steering isn't standard on the A2s. I have a late model "loaded" A2 and it's manual steer.

However, many units did put air-o-matic power steering on theirs...but that was at the unit level I'm pretty sure. The A3s all came with power steering, as well as the other improvements like the Cat engine, auto tranny (Hi Clinto!), and CTIS system (amongst many other little improvements).

Capt.Marion

No power steering on the A2s. I'm not sure if any units did put the air-o-matic on the deuces, I thought that was only in "private" ownership.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2 waiting on EUC to CLear

I have a Deuce waiting for the EUC to clear, it is right out of active duty and it has power steering, winch, air shift, new tires all around,heater,full set of tools in box,soft top and all for less than $1300 and only 80 miles from home, Down side is no spare, and it has 66,000 miles on it. But regardless for the prices they are going for now, you can't loose, my price was below scrap value!
James G.

Attachments

GearSpec

WOW! that sounds like an amazing deal! and you know for sure it runs?

So you just got lucky in an auction nobody else really bid it up?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correction, I am counting the National Guard as active duty. At least the units in our area are pretty active 3rd deployment in five years.
James G.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Actually in Iraq on the FOB's there are still dueces serving as get around vehicles. Most of them where either cut up for scrap or sold to the Iraqi government. But there are still a few FOB runners on Active Duty. In my album is a shot of the dueces lined up in Kuwait that were being scrapped some of them were really in great shape I cryed over that one.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our TC had a deuce assigned to our maintenance section. It never left the motor-pool. I don't know what the maintenance guys ever used it for excect to drag a few things with. When we went to the wash-racks down in Kuwait to sterilize our (915 series) trucks and their trailers, I washed the deuce, among other things. No one wanted to drive it, so I got in it to take it over to a staging lot. As I drove past some of my buddies, I yelled out, "Hey, when we get home I'm going to buy one of these!" "We'll all go to Hooters in it!"

Hence, my deuce.

I love it! :mrgreen:

(As soon as I get it home from paint & body, we'll make that, "fun-run.")

GearSpec

:) now that's a cool stroy, seriously i like that!

BTW there's a 93 going for really good money wonder how high it will go!

Lot Details — Event Id 3283 — Lot Number 1050

i can post that right? does that help you find it?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Air-O-Matic steering kit was a kit like any other (convoy lights, ring mount, heater, A frame, and every other special purpose kit in the back of the -24P) that the unit could order and install if the command allowed it....... If they had the $ and the time to do so, thats another story..

jim-m35a2

GearSpec said:
So gentleman correct me if I'm wrong but from what I gather.... year is less important than features.

As far as resell and people who will want it etc.. not much of a difference between a 67 and a 77 is there?

From what I have read and seen sell out there... the things to look for are

Hard Top
Winch
Bows & Canopy

is there anything else, and are those in the right order?

Thanks!
I live in Michigan. What I looked for was

Heater
Hardtop
winch

I also set a $ limit to what I would pay and the winch would have put me way over the dollar amount. If you live in a warmer area, the hardtop and heater would not be that important.

Jim
________
Lovely Wendie99

Last edited: