• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The LDT-465 that ran backwards

ncpamlicoboy

Again I was not trying to call any one a liar but the kind of injection pump I was talking about is a vain style injection pump. The pump has vines in it and uses a distributor also know as a “Verteiler” to send the pressurized fuel to the right cylinder. There are also injections pumps that use one plunger and a “verteiler” to send pressurized fuel to the right cylinder. If you run a vain style pump backwards it will not pump fuel. If the duce “again I have don’t know anything about these engines” has an inline pump with one plunger per cylinder like the old 5.9 Cummins, or a plunger using a “Verteiler” yes what your saying is right. It would still pump spinning backwards. A plunger does not care which way the cam lobe is spinning because it still goes up and down. I understand all if this I am just saying it has gone against everything I have learned (and yes I know about sliding cam diesels that run backwards actulaly worked on one) but again u need a sliding cam effectively 2 different cams in one engine. I am sorry if I came off as trying to smear someone I just wanted to state my 2 cents. If any one says they can’t learn anything more about diesels they are a liar and today I learned that a deuce engine will run backwards!!!! Also floridianson I am a 2A/E unlimited horsepower steam diesels and gasturbines.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Add me to the liars club, happened once in my deuce....

Also seen my Uncle's D4 dozer start backwards, several times.

Posted all this in another thread too. (I bet the op did not search this before posting!)

davesgmc

let make an external oil feed for the motor and start in backwards and see just how long and how well it runs.

beings i dont own one of the small mf engines in anyhting, someone else is going to have to do it.
all i own is 2 stroke detroits

Jake0147

They won't run well, the timing is off when they run backwards. What should be BTDC is now ATDC and vice versa. Note the references to smoke in all these accounts. Even multi's don't smoke that much at an idle, and I don't see any accounts of applying throttle. But it doesn't take much to make a motor idle.
How long will it run? I dunno... The transfer pump (in tank) will continue to transfer. The IP will continue to inject (with seriously bad timing), but I don't know about the supply pump (part of the IP) that pressurizes the inlet of the IP. You might only be able to burn up the fuel that's already there, or it might run indefinately... I'd have to look at that one. Different designs do differently.
The engine oil pump does NOT provide any lubrication in reverse. It'll be drawing air from the bearings and blowing bubbles in the sump. For a short instance, no worries. The engine starts every time with no pressurized oil, and takes some time to read pressure... If you're not in the throttle, you'll do no more harm to the bearings than that. In fact, less in the "stalling by running into a tree" incidents, since the journals and gallerys are already full of oil and providing better lubrication than when they've leaked down.
There were some old gas Volvo's that would do this, and I'd bet anything with similar Bosch fuel injection would. Only for a second or two (or less, but it seemed like an eternety), they could be "lit" while unloading them from a flatbed wrecker. I suspect there was "puddled" fuel somewhere from the original malfunction, it was definately not being delivered by the fuel system in the conventional way, that all got pushed into the air filter unburned.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This happened to me a few weeks ago at Redstone......I pulled up the the gate and shut the M275 off to get my day pass.

When I jumped back in the batts were dead and I was thinking I was screwed.

There is a slight incline at the gate and I was alone in the "get your pass lane"...the guards gave me a push backwards and I must have had the truck in first gear instead of reverse (had it in HI range).

She fired off and I realized that I had 4 reverses and 1 forward...and I was out of incline.

I drove it forward to the turn around (engine running backwards) and did a flip...this put me on an incline again....I shut it off and then rolled started it again...this time running correctly.

I turned around and went back through the gate.....the guards were amazed that not only did the engine run in reverse but that I was able to drive it to the turn around and restart it.

No wonder we love these trucks.

steelandcanvas

Note the references to smoke in all these accounts. Even multi's don't smoke that much at an idle, and I don't see any accounts of applying throttle.
Jake, If it wasn't for the smoke coming out of the intake bonnet, I wouldn't of had a clue it was running backwards. Now maybe after 20 seconds or so with 0 oil pressure, I would have gotten a little concerned, and shut her down, but the smoke gave it away.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multifuel IP's are piston pump, not vane pump. IP doesn't care which way it turns, it will pump fuel.

Jake0147

I have heard that 2 cycle engines like my 8V92 Silver will do it,as I have been cautioned about
Remember the old two stroke golf carts? Reverse was no more than an electric switch that caused the starter to run backwards when you stepped on the gas pedal.

ranchhopper

Had a mack sixwheeler with the old 237 engine reverse saw the dust coming out the intake cannister then shut it down.The engine reversed when coming out of a borrow pit with a load of clay working on site so the truck was way overloaded.The truck had no acceleration while running backwards though.Want to see how long engines can run without oil go to cash for clunkers on u-tube and watch the videos of them killing car engines with the oil drained out of them and the silica added to them it is amazing how long they will go on before siezing up.

54reo

Definetly not good for the motor, but for you doubters out there, 3 posters on this thread have actually witnessed it happening.
I too, have run one of my Multifuels "backwards". I was attempting (in vain) to pull out my stuck M818 w/machine shop trailer, and I inadvertently stalled the engine. As I pushed in the clutch, the engine recovered, but was running in reverse. After about 5 seconds, I shut it down and restarted via the starter. All was ( and remains to be) normal.

It can happen.

Ord22

we havd R&R an deuce engine, brandnew, started it up for the first time and it ran backwards. it was really crazy! stopped the engine and started it again, ran fine. it had to start from the starter. we pulled it off and benched tested it, it worked backwards. put another starter on, everything was fine. :?:

JCKnife

.Want to see how long engines can run without oil go to cash for clunkers on u-tube and watch the videos of them killing car engines with the oil drained out of them and the silica added to them it is amazing how long they will go on before siezing up.

Makes me sick to think how many affordable, good used vehicles were destroyed in that program. Talk about hurting the middle class!

67_C-30

I have a Detroit 671 in a 1981 GMC Brigadier dumptruck. I know for a fact it will run backwards.

No doubt! I 6-71 Detroit will hurry and do it. I agree with others that say that it makes more sense that the 2 strokes do it and I KNOW they will do it, but after the numerous first hand accounts on here, I'm a believer that the LDT's will do it too.

emr

It is great to see such posts, this has been known in the Militery since the begining, It is sooo real and possible, To think it is not, In my humble opinion is to only see what u want or was told, but remember more is always more possible than some instructor ever said, These motors are some of the easiest starting motors ever built, they sure seem :to want to run" and they will start foward or backwards for sure,there is no discussion on this, it is a fact , there had been PS articles about this in the sixties. for the soldiers. and mechanics. this is just one of the best posts to read and then understand why so many say" Never say this could never happen or a really famous line, the Militery NEVER did that, or they NEVER had that vehicle, classics for sure, ... :)...Randy

Csm Davis

most diesels can and almost all can be set up to run clockwise or conterclockwise for use in boats and some odd trucks that were built to run that way. Two stoke detroits are easy to set up "backwards".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks