• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1008 and the M1028 had 14 bolts front and rear... right?

Loco_Hosa

EDIT: I have been munching humble pie, I was obviously wrong. Thanks all :)

Spike TV has so many 4wd shows that I have forgotten the name of the specific show. This show went on about the 14 bolt axles, did some interesting upgrades, including showing a way to increase ground clearance on these axles, lighter disk brakes (They fail to mention that this makes your braking more efficient, just lighter) All very interesting, but then he said something that make me drop my spoon into my corn pops cereal.

"The 14 bolt never came as the front axle" (Not verbatim)

Now, they went into how to convert the axle to work in the front end. I just couldn't understand, as far as I know, all the cucvs except for the M1009 came with 14 bolts up front. Is there a justification for them saying this? Am I dead wrong?

Thanks all. I dont like when spike tells me Im wrong!

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yup, there's never been a factory 14 bolt front axle. Chevy used Dana 60's on the front of the 1 tons. The only AAM front straight axles were corp 10 bolt's under the 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons. But never a 14bolt. Actually if you watched that episode, you'd see why it wasn't used in a front application due to oiling issues.

WARWAG

Dana 60 up front. LOL. I think you probably got that by now. I HAD that episode of Extreme 4x4 recorded on my hard drive along with 300 hrs. of other shows until my hard drive took an Osama on me. They did just have a new episode last Saturday I believe you were talking about. That did a build up of there rear Corp 14 bolt and did a brief recap of the front custom 14 bolt they built using dana 60 axles ect. Its cool but not really worth the effort unless maybe your some professional Rock Crawler? Either way its cool but why do it?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks