• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1008 Arctic Winterization Kit

Sasquatch

I've searched through the threads and people seem to be interested in the Winterization Kit, but information is a bit limited on it. I picked up a M1008 Plow Truck a month or so ago and thought I'd start posting pics of parts of the kit.

From what I've read complete kits are extremely rare, even this Alaska truck doesn't have everything, but it has most of it. The old site had the manual for installation of the winter kit in the Resources, but that's offline right now. Feel free to add comments/pics of your kits/mods.

The Kit (as far as I know) consists of:
1. Engine, Oil Pan, Transmission Heater
2. Auxillary Interior / Battery Heater
3. Block Heater
4. Swingfire Coolant Heater
5. Winter Front Grill Cover

If equipped with a cargo cover
6. Cargo Area Heater
7. Insulated Cargo Cover

Mine also has a Boss 8'2" V Plow

Sasquatch

Engine, Oil Pan, Transmission, Battery, Aux Heaters

This part of kit contains two diesel heaters under the hood, one is located over each inner fender. Fuel is pumped directly from the fuel tank to a burner which then has a fan to force the heat through the ducting. They are controlled from a control switch inside the cab.

The passenger side heater can be set to either heat the batteries or it can push the heat through the regular blower fan to super power the regular heater/defroster. The winter kit includes ducting and enclosed battery boxes, mine do not have lids, which I think are supposed to be there, but this thing pushes out so much heat, I don't know that it matters

The drivers side heater is missing, but the electrical wiring is still there and the ducting from the oil pan and transmission to the exhaust is there. This is the same type of heater but its heat is routed to a duct system that runs under the oil pan and transmisson. There may have been a duct that blew heat just into the engine compartment also, but I'm not sure.

Both heaters route exhaust through dcuts that exit just in front of the rear fenders.

Since I'm missing the drivers side heater, I'm considering rerouting the exhaust of the passenger side to the oil pan and transmission duct to help warm those up.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I believe the driver side heater is the coolant heater. I also believe the exhaust from each unit is supposed to be ducted to heat the trans and oilpan. I got one of the coolant heaters for that installation and it came with a partial manual. That is also why there is different controls on that heater controller, the coolant heater is on/off, no high or low speed.

zang

For winter, I have a preheater "Arctic Fox".
As he goes diesel engine and water flow.
It is enough-10 - -40Celsius. I think so.

WARWAG

Love this thread! Post more pics when you can.

The only problem I know of and it may or may not be a problem in the scheme of things is you need to remove the oil pan heating duct to change the oil. Im sure its the same for the transmission pan. But the benifits are HUGE when in sub zero weather like I get. Just fire up the diesel burners and in a matter of minutes your entire engine trans engine oil and coolants are nice and warm before start up!

Sasquatch

Yes mine does have the floor insulation, I forgot about that.

My oil pan shroud is designed so you can still get to the drain plug, but I couldn't see the plug for the transmission. I will try to craawl under it and post pics when I get a chance.

My passenger side exhaust runs straight back without crossing over to the oil pan/trans. The drivers side may well be a coolant heater, that would make sense. Mine has the swingfire heater port and a pump that would have used that to heat the coolant, so maybe that's whythe drivers side heater wasn't installed.

boondock

My M1031 has the 2 fuel-fired heaters under the hood.
The hot air from the passenger side unit can be directed to the battery boxes or into the cab. The exhaust exits at the rear wheel well.
The drivers side coolant heater's exhaust is directed to the transmission & oil pans.
The truck also has a swingfire heater with a separate pump to move the coolant.
In addition, there is a freeze plug heater which is probably the easiest way to get the engine preheated, provided of course that electricity is available.

DokWatson

Love this thread! Post more pics when you can.

The only problem I know of and it may or may not be a problem in the scheme of things is you need to remove the oil pan heating duct to change the oil.
No, nothing is in the way of the drain plug. The oil pan cover that the exhaust leads into is welded on anyways, not coming off. Makes for a nice skid plate.

The passenger side heater is cab/batteries. Exhaust exits just before the rear wheel.

Driver side heater is oil/coolant. It heats the oil from the heater exhaust.

Nothing heats the transmission.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My M1031 has the 2 fuel-fired heaters under the hood.
The hot air from the passenger side unit can be directed to the battery boxes or into the cab. The exhaust exits at the rear wheel well.
The drivers side coolant heater's exhaust is directed to the transmission & oil pans.
The truck also has a swingfire heater with a separate pump to move the coolant.
In addition, there is a freeze plug heater which is probably the easiest way to get the engine preheated, provided of course that electricity is available.
The coolant heater part that I got has the coolant pump built into the heater. Just wanted to add that to the thread so people know there is a few different designs.

Sasquatch

Alright I snapped a few more pictures.8) First is a pic of the cab insulation, basically a 1/2" foam mat under the regular floor mats.

Next 2 show exhaust coming down from the passenger side heater and exiting by the passenger rear fender.

Then there is the pic of the oil pan shroud, showing the drain plug, note that there is no duct leading to the the oil pan shroud since the driver's side heater is not installed. And a pic of the transmission shroud and the exhaust heading back the the driver's side fender.

Attachments

Sasquatch

A lot of people may know this already but just got done replacing my glow plugs, if you have the passenger side battery/interior heater, it is impossible to get to the last glow plug. I tried removing the battery but it seems that you have to remove the heater then the battery, PITA. I took a look underneath and if you pull back the fender liner, you can get to that last glow plug from the wheel well, it's a tight squeeze to get your hand up there but it can be done.

WARWAG - the stock transmission pan does not have a drain plug, you have to drop the whole pan, it is a little more work because you have to disconnect the heater ducting before dropping the pan. Plan on doing that next week.

I'll try to keep posting pics of the rest of the kit over the next week or two.

Stihl029

wow where have i been,
Hey I have the drivers side stuff i have been pulling it and crating it up since i do not have the pass stuff. hit me up if you want or need any of it i'm just over in Kodiak

Sasquatch

Swingfire Heater and Block Heater

The Swingfire Heater consists of a gasoline powered portable heater, a 24v plug in ( I assume for an electric start on the heater), interior switch to run the coolant pump, the circular port on the driver's side fender allows the heater to slide into a water jacket that the pump circulates the coolant through, then of course hoses that tie it in to the radiator. There is also a rectangular brush guard just before the port to protect it. Behind the brush guard a hole is drilled and the cord for the block heater comes out there. I do not have the portable heater but there was one on e-bay I posted a pic of, asking price was $150 plus shipping. The heater is German made and also used on Unimogs.

My truck has a 600w Pyroil block heater.

As added to the post before, there are many other configurations and options for both coolant and block heaters available. Please add what you have and any model numbers so people will know what options are out there.

Attachments

Sasquatch

Winter Front and Insulated Cargo Cover, Cargo Heater

Jatonka sells CUCV Winter Front grill covers that help the engine and heater warm up quicker in cold weather, especially when driving fast in very cold weather. I just got mine from him a few weeks ago and the workmanship is great and the fit is perfect, looks original. It attaches with 3 button snaps located just under the hood and then on the grill there are 2 toggles that secure the sides. Jatonka has also added a few loops along the bottom to strap or bungee it, but I have mine installed without them.

There is a thread with good pics of the cover and attachments, CUCV Winterfront:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/61081-cucv-winterfront.html

And Jatonka's website is:
http://www.jatonkam35s.com/

The insulated cargo cover covers the cargo area if equipped. Trucks with the cargo cover also probably had the cargo heater installed as well. It looks like my truck probably had the cargo compartment, the cargo heater and the cover at one point. There are several attachments that run down each side of the bed where I assume the cover snapped on to. In the bed there is a hole and a bunch of wiring which could have been for radios as well as the heater.

Attachments