• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M1101 is HOME!

Deano

Took a road trip up to Ft. Sill, OK this morning from Denton, TX to pick up my M1101. I have dubbed it the "War Wagon." This thing is in amazing shape! All of the lights except the tail lights are LED so the swap should be fast! There were a few dents but I was able to pound them out with a hammer. The tires look brand new! They still have the nipple thingies on them. I just have to say that I really appreciate all the help from the forum members here! The pictures I looked through really do not do this justice and this thing is A LOT bigger than I really realized! I still love it though. It is really cool. I also was successful at the Tax office when I went to get my plate for it. I decided to go to the main tax office in Denton and the lady that was helping me only had to ask her supervisor a few question but was VERY helpful. The end result was me getting a license plate. I chose not to title the trailer as it is not needed for the weight.

1 Question for anybody here. What is "WAINBO"???? I have what looks like some disposal paper work that was attached to the trailer and it was a little wet so I have to read that but on first glance it didnt answer any questions.

As much as I thought about keeping the wheels and tires I really think they have to go. They really change the road manners of this trailer and I think I want this thing sitting a little lower. I'll be posting them on Craigslist here pretty soon and picking up some ford or gm 8 lugs.

Where is everybody putting their license plates on these? I am not too concerned with preserving the looks of the trailer and was thinking of putting it on the tailgate or maybe the cross member by the bottom clearance lights.

20140529_090815.jpg20140529_173215(0).jpg20140529_173231.jpg

trooper632

What is the tax office asking up in Denton to get the plate, I didn't get a title either but got a farm tag for mine, another person that bought one from me was having a terrible time in san Antonio trying to register his.

Deano

Trooper632: I had a signed bill of sale from GL and the form 130U - Request for title. This is needed to register it but they gave me the option of whether I wanted to get a title or not. I did not want a title because of the weight. At first the lady told me I would have to get a weight ticket and inspection because it was from out of state but I showed her all the auction details from my LOT# along with a clear picture of the data plate showing the weight. She took that and rounded up and said the data plate is good enough. Issued the plate with very little problem and only a few questions for me and her supervisor. It was far easier at the main tax office. The Denton tax office had 2 different lines. One was for untitled trailer registration and that was the line I got in! Please let me know if this helps. Today was my second yet successful attempt at getting registration done.

apscott

Does Texas still give the option to issue small motorcycle sized plates for trailers? I think I had one on an old trailer when I lived in Dallas.

Virginia does issue the small plates, I've got it mounted on the tailgate on my M1101 right now. When I get more time I was thinking about removing the reflector on the left side under the tail/brake lights and then mounted the small plate in there, it fits perfectly in the recess. That way it would be really out of the way and won't snag on anything.

I sold the 37" wheels/tires that came on my trailer and recouped more than 50% of the overall cost of buying it. Installed some LT245's on Chevy 8 lug rims, it now rides level and drops the height a couple of inches.

Last edited:

Deano

Apscott I am not sure about that. The last trailer I had used a normal sized trailer. I never knew there was an option. I just got a normal sized for this and im thinking about just drilling into the crossmember under the tailgate. I am going to do what you did. I think I can get a little money out of the wheels and tires. at least enough to buy some used rims and maybe some new tires.

glassk

20140110_M1102.jpg

I sold mine with just an Alabama bill of sale , plus tag receipt and Steinmaster had it registered in Texas , good to hear you like yours ,...

Deano

Yeah I really like it. I just need some 12V bulbs and hook up the 4 way plug and its ready to rock. New wheels and tires are on the list too.

glassk

Does Texas still give the option to issue small motorcycle sized plates for trailers? I think I had one on an old trailer when I lived in Dallas.

Virginia does issue the small plates, I've got it mounted on the tailgate on my M1101 right now. When I get more time I was thinking about removing the reflector on the left side under the tail/brake lights and then mounted the small plate in there, it fits perfectly in the recess. That way it would be really out of the way and won't snag on anything.

I sold the 37" wheels/tires that came on my trailer and recouped more than 50% of the overall cost of buying it. Installed some LT245's on Chevy 8 lug rims, it now rides level and drops the height a couple of inches.
How did you list the tires, I mean what description got responses, i have two off of a M116A3, with runflats I need to get rid of,..

Deano

glassk- I haven't had a chance to post them up yet. I was thinking of putting them on craigslist this weekend. I also have a hunting forum here in Texas that I will post them on. I have had great luck on those 2 places so im sure I will have the same luck again. I am also doing some research on how much I should ask for. I dont want to be greedy but don't want to give them away either. Any idea what these might bring?

glassk

glassk- I haven't had a chance to post them up yet. I was thinking of putting them on craigslist this weekend. I also have a hunting forum here in Texas that I will post them on. I have had great luck on those 2 places so im sure I will have the same luck again. I am also doing some research on how much I should ask for. I dont want to be greedy but don't want to give them away either. Any idea what these might bring?
Not really sure, I'm just not sure what I want is going to cost, Guess any 2500 Chevy or GMC from a wreck might be what I'm looking for, shorter plus with out the runflats should make mine pull better, not that it doesn't now it's just high,...

Attachments

apscott

After getting a bad batch of 67 incandescent bulbs, I ordered some multi-volt LED bulbs off Amazon. Search "13 smd led amber 1156" and "13 smd led red 1156", these are an EZ fit in the indicator housings, and fit in the tail light housing as well. Search "smd led red 27 1156" for ones that will fit in the brake light bulb. They work well.

hummer4x4guy

related but sorta off topic but does anyone know of a good way to remove the rivnuts that hold the supports located around the top of the trailer?? mine all spin and I cant remove the bow supports.

glassk

related but sorta off topic but does anyone know of a good way to remove the rivnuts that hold the supports located around the top of the trailer?? mine all spin and I cant remove the bow supports.
Impact wrench and a wide point chisel to go between trailer body and the bow support to keep the spinning part tight, some times tightening first helps,