• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The M931 couples to which trailers?

schoobie1

I won an m931a1 with the idea of hauling medium size construction equipment such as dozers, loader backhoes and tractors as well as other materials not exceeding 25 tons.

I would like to get a semi that fits right in with my m931 without any mods.

Is the m870 an option?

if not what can be coupled to this?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M870 is an option, but you will need a behind the cab winch to raise the gooseneck after frontloading. 870's are quite hard to find and are usually somewhat parted out when purchased from GL. Most any civi lowboy will couple to the 931, you might have to crank the legs up some. Don't plan on high speed highway travel with 65,000 lbs in tow.

schoobie1

An M172 Trailer would fulfill the role, and doesn't require the winch...
Oh yeah, I googled M172 and that looks like what I am looking for, and it has ramps! That is something I forgot to mention we need too. We have run into situations where we received the equipment but the trailer has no ramps and have to scramble to build a temporary platform or dock to unload the equipment.
Any ideas where to find one M172? I googled GL auctions and not one M172 was sold in the last year, but highest bids range from $1K to $4K from previous years.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M172's are 114" wide. Meaning year-round permit or trip permits every time. The ramps for the M172 should come with a coupon for spinal reconstruction surgery. The 872 is the same height as a normal float. Not useful for equipment drive on loading, must have a dock. Keep your eyes peeled for a 25 ton Hyster or equiv civi lowboy. Same utility as a M172 but standard width.

jdknech

M172's are 114" wide. Meaning year-round permit or trip permits every time. The ramps for the M172 should come with a coupon for spinal reconstruction surgery. The 872 is the same height as a normal float. Not useful for equipment drive on loading, must have a dock. Keep your eyes peeled for a 25 ton Hyster or equiv civi lowboy. Same utility as a M172 but standard width.
SOME states do not require farm trailers that are over sized to have permits.. if it is for farm use, its worth checking to see if your state is this way.. Indiana is..

EDIT- just noticed your from canada, I have no clue about what the laws are up there

Last edited:

M931

about the M931 how much it can tow... i believe they mean 55000 lbs .. that must be the load on fifth wheel. they use it to tow trailer there can load 40t [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks