• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Magic Smoke

ETN550

I was introduced to the magic smoke yesterday.

I have a Goodman Ball 1110 Coast Guard unit http://www.goodmanball.com/mod1110.php and was powering a couple of small heaters inside my camper , about 2000 watts and just letting it run. It was in the back yard and I was in the front yard. When I rounded the corner I saw a huge amount of smoke pouring out from the unit.

I shut it down and let it cool off.

Later in the evening I tore it down and found that all the magnets on the PM rotor came unglued and spun in the stator causing friction and heat. The heat burned the epoxy around the windings. The circuit boards all look okay, no signs of heat anyway.

The stator may or may not be okay. The rotor is shot.

This was my favorite unit. :sad::sad: I'm going to call GB on Monday but I'm sure parts are major $$$$$. I have a bad feeling this may be RIP.

The little Hatz diesel that runs it works flawlessly.

The 1110 can put out up to 80amps 24vdc, and 12vdc, and 2kw 120vac in any combination at the same time not exceeding 2.4kw total. It is also variable speed, even on the 120vac side since it uses an inverter. It weighs only 119 lbs. It's the perfect mini generator to have around since it can charge batteries and deliver 120vac. It has meters for DC volts and DC amps to monitor charging.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks