• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Modern Day M35

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Kia KM250

Cool video, thanks for sharing! I'm curious about the specs on the drivetrain. Top speed? Able to pull itself up hills? Is it loaded with sensors and electronics?

I'm more into the history of the original trucks. But it is interesting to see what new companies are doing with the design.

Rob01

Cool video, thanks for sharing! I'm curious about the specs on the drivetrain. Top speed? Able to pull itself up hills? Is it loaded with sensors and electronics?

I'm more into the history of the original trucks. But it is interesting to see what new companies are doing with the design.

I can't find the KM250's axle specs.
They say max engine rpm is 2900, and top speed is 95 km/h. That's 59 mph.
M35A2 at 2500 rpm/.79 overdrive/6.72 ratio/9.00-20 top speed is 57.3 mph

Rob01

An M35A2 with the 4.90 aftermarket ring/pinion would run 78.6 mph at 2500 with 9.00-20 tires (40.9" height). That's unworkable.

A ratio around 5.90 (65mph @ 2500), in lieu of 6.72 (57.3mph @ 2500), might suffice with that 140 horsepower. Acceptable "startability" must be maintained.

HDN

Kia has been building licensed USA 2.5-ton and 5-ton trucks for awhile. I believe they're all still manual transmission but with a modern diesel instead of a multifuel. I'm wondering if they all have split-circuit brakes or full air brakes.

I believe there was chatter in the 5-ton board about using the dog bones and bushings off the Kia trucks as they're an improved design over what was original equipment in the USA.

EDIT: Actually watched the video now - I see they're still air-hydraulic brakes. That music though o_O

davidb56

An M35A2 with the 4.90 aftermarket ring/pinion would run 78.6 mph at 2500 with 9.00-20 tires (40.9" height). That's unworkable.

A ratio around 5.90 (65mph @ 2500), in lieu of 6.72 (57.3mph @ 2500), might suffice with that 140 horsepower. Acceptable "startability" must be maintained.
the vid stated 183 hp. I also noticed the transmission shift pattern is the same.

fleetmech

I would have to go back and watch the video again but it looked like the brake system used a standard treadle valve. Interesting…
Check out my thread in the hot rodding section "Modern Air Over Hydraulic Brakes". While the thread got a bit overtaken with other peoples different types of project, suffice it to say its totally possible to build a treadle operated air booster to run a split master or even multiple single masters. I linked to a company that builds and sells a kit, or you can build your own from NAPA, eliminating the air pack among other things. Also, take note that there was at least one motorhome company building class A busses well into the 90's with multiple air over hydraulic actuators.

Gypsyman

Check out my thread in the hot rodding section "Modern Air Over Hydraulic Brakes". While the thread got a bit overtaken with other peoples different types of project, suffice it to say its totally possible to build a treadle operated air booster to run a split master or even multiple single masters. I linked to a company that builds and sells a kit, or you can build your own from NAPA, eliminating the air pack among other things. Also, take note that there was at least one motorhome company building class A busses well into the 90's with multiple air over hydraulic actuators.
I actually did read your thread not too long ago. Very interesting. That's why the treadle valve caught my eye on the newer version.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks