• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Mojave Road

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
The Mojave Road is an old indian path turned wagon road that starts at the Colorado River near Laughlin, Nv and ends near Barstow, Ca. In the late 1800's / early 1900's there were a series of army posts established along the route where natural water springs are located. The army posts protected travelers from indian attacks as well as protected the mail route. Google the mojave road for more history and pictures. My buddy, his girlfriend and I did the 140 mile road throught the middle of the desert in 3 days. There are alot of old historical stops along the path as well as amazing scenery. We opted to do the road from West to East ending in Laughlin. We tried to start at Camp Cady which is usually the ending point. My Guide book warned of very deep sand in the wash and it was spot on. I got stuck within the first 20 feet, it was very deep sand. We turned around and decided to start in Afton Canyon which is an amazing place by itself. The road is marked by piles of rock cairns stacked about 2-3 feet high and spaced accordingly so you dont get off track. we only lost the trail a couple of times but quickly picked it back up. The guide book is a definate must have to know where all the points of interest are. We only saw about half of them due to time constraints. The weather was perfect, mid to upper 60's during the day and 50's at night with zero wind. There was threatening rain clouds in the distance but the never quite got to us. I was in my LSSV towing my S250 camper conversion and my buddy useed his M1009. In my research I read the road was mild and could probably be done in a slightly modified 2WD, I would definately not take a 2WD. Some of the pics you will see, Afton Canyon, an old mining railroad path-minus the rails, Soda dry lake, "the travelers monument" where its a tradition to bring a rock and add it to the pile of rocks that surround a plaque in the center, Lava tubes, the Mojave Road mailbox, a frog monument, the penny can, bla bla bla. I burned 3/4 of a tank and carried an extra 20 gallons just in case. I highly recommend doing this trip if you are close. I can't wait to do it again.

Attachments

steelandcanvas

I grew up in California, spent every long weekend I could at the River, and never once heard of Mojave Road. Your trip will be placed in my "want to go" file. Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
A duece can do it, it will be tight as far as joshua trees in areas but thats only scraped paint. I think my shelter trimmed alot of them coming through last weekend. There are areas where only one vehicle can fit which I posted a picture of so if you run into oncoming traffic, it could be a problem. The book I have says its traveled from East to West but everyone we say was going West to East. The idea of a nice hotel room in Laughlin after the trip seems better to me although I ended the road and headed straight home, my friends stayed 2 days at a resort.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have spent alot of time in the desert and have never come across so many cacti concentrated in one area. I can't imagine being an indian trekking through the desert in mocassins.

Attachments

saddamsnightmare

November 17th, 2011.

DJFREEMA:

Thanks for posting the pictures of the old Mojave Road, pity I and my trucks are so far east, as it looks like a really good trail for a stock S404.114, though the way mines behaving in the city, an air pump and tire tube patching kit would be derigeur. Looks like you have had a good time with the CUCV's, but, are there any places on the trail we should warn Gimpy about, as he likes to see the world sideways:gimp2:[thumbzup]!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks