• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Mojave Road

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for posting the fantastic pics and the interesting story. Neato!

SMOKEWAGON66

I have spent alot of time in the desert and have never come across so many cacti concentrated in one area. I can't imagine being an indian trekking through the desert in mocassins.
Awesome pics and write up. I live near the edge of the Mojave desert....like a stones throw from the city of Mojave.

Also, just to clarify for people who have never been to the desert here, I beleive he is referring to the cactus type on the right of the pic and back ground...not the tall spikey tree looking one lol...thats a Joshua tree, only found in California :wink:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm. Looks like that might just be in my future tooo! :twisted: The only part of your pics that worry me is the one with a drop off to the right. No mines, right?

998Junkie

My dad wants to do this road, I was waiting to finish the truck, it's done, I think I'm going to do it the week after Thanksgiving since I'll be off a couple of days.

Great pics, and thanks for reminding me. :drool:

Any tips for the sand trap?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, as long as it's flat...no hills, good weather...65-70 degrees, no wind, a motel on the way, with showers and a buffet, I'll be good :whistle:
Oh, by the way, no dust either, I hate dirt.

Last edited:

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ever see Mad Max, Thunderdome? Maybe you could put a stick with a beer on it in front of the truck and I'll follow it/you where ever you go?

OD_Coyote

I did that trip in February of 1988 in my 1988 Dodge W250 along with a friend in his 1985 Jeep Cherokee. I always thought that was and still is some beautiful country. Thanks for posting your pics.[thumbzup]

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
awesome trip, is that the 2007 army lssv prototype?
Its an 05 and apparently was the demo model GM used for their military sales. I needed 5 seats for the family and have the green fever so it was a perfect match. Will, the mines were minimal unless you go out of your way to seek them out.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
My dad wants to do this road, I was waiting to finish the truck, it's done, I think I'm going to do it the week after Thanksgiving since I'll be off a couple of days.

Great pics, and thanks for reminding me. :drool:

Any tips for the sand trap?
Completely avoid it if possible, especially if you are by yourself. The sand was deep, very loose and grainy. Supposedly its only for a couple of miles but you will be screwed if you get stuck in it 1 mile in. Start in Afton canyon, it's easy to find and safe. It took us an hour just to find the spot in the sand then another half hour to get back out.

Barneyszoo

Looks like you had a good trip D. Theres 5 more books of trips in that area. I've done all of them they're all very cool. Also lots of good side trips. Wish I could have made it. Next time for sure. I'll have to drag out all my topos for that area and give you some spots to check out next time. I made a lot of notes of that place, but that was before GPS so i'll have to convert the numbers.

Gottlos

Former 95B Ft Sam Houston
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It almost killed me to look at those pictures. Jealously is a terrible thing. The Mojave Road is one of the reasons I bought my M1009. I've driven through Afton Canyon and followed the railroad maintenance road to the Kelso Depot. Wish I would have had time to go further.

deuceaid

Banned
Thanks Dj, nice to see. BarneyZoo, what books are You talking about? ( and Sadie barks hello...haha)

Maybe this could be turned into a dirtbag dirtrun of some sort ( more of a trailride than the camp thing)?:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks