• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THE MONSTERS ARE HERE!!! Huge turbos for the kits... w/ pics

CUMMINS

I just got done installing the headgaskets on my truck, I was suprised at well engineered the mutifuel was, It has 14 large studs in each head (head studs are capable of much more clamping force than bolts) and the studs are very large, on the 5.9 Cummins you can replace the head bolts with studs torqued to 125FTLBs and your good for 60-80 psi I'm running twin turbos at 55psi on stock headbolts and head gasket, after looking at the old style gasket I wasn't suprised they leaked I've never seen a gasket like them, the new style gasket looked modern and looked like it would seal much better, and in my gasket set was an instruction sheet that said to torque the studs to 157FTLBs, this high torque with the studs should yield imense clamping force, I have a N/A motor and added a D turbo, turned up the fuel and left the timing at 25 degrees and gave it hell until the gasket popped, now I want to see how far the Multifuel can be pushed

jwaller

I have almost finished up the adaptor that is required to bolt up this new turbo but I need the doc to get in touch with me as I have a few final questions. please contact me asap. I left you several pm's a week ago.

houdel

I owned two of the Oldsmodiesels, bought one new and one used. Loved them but blew the head gaskets on both!

CUMMINS - Fill us in on the "new" head gaskets please? Part numbers, sources, what is different, any pics? I expect that some time I'm going to have to replace my head gaskets SOME time (no leaks YET, but?), I'd like to have to do it only once!

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Any movement on the turbo upgrade? CUMMINS did you ever get any numbers on the replacement head gaskets, or what you parts source was?
Thanks

Night of old turbo thread revivals :twisted:

DrFoster

I've had a deuce to do the project on for some time, (not just the one I own now) but just so I don't have to keep sending out pm's, Ill post here.

There was a hold up in the kit design for a couple of months for personal things that came up. After that, it has been determined that the injectors and the pump system are too "linear" in the flow pattern, making a variable vane system (higher flow over a wider band of RPM than a fixed vane turbo) not too reasonable, because we are facing replacing the fuel pump, injectors, and adding a controller to the mix, which is completely NOT what I was planning on doing to the deuce. I wanted to keep it's ability to operate with no electrics in tact.

As far as the IHI and Holset turbos, they are still "In the works". Jim has the last of the IHIs still, and I have several holsets with custom turbines for the deuce. Remember, I have about $11,000 invested in this kit (parts wise) so far, so I will get it done, I just need some nice weather so I can use my laptop outside to gather data (and a new plasma cutter)!

Once I overcome the issue with fuel delivery, it will all be cake from there. I've had a suggestion to just turn the pump rate up, but that creates too much smoke (both white at idle and black on boost), which will not pass local emissions with the rate of smoke at "throttle snap" and under 60-80% loads. It also created some pretty serious a/f ratio problems, but at least the EGT was below 1140F degrees.

I may go intercooler (bolt on) with a simple wastegated turbo swap, will update again after I get back from San Diego in about 9 days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks