• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

THE MONSTERS ARE HERE!!! Huge turbos for the kits... w/ pics

Westech

CPL
TD does not mean turbo block. I have seen first hand many N/A multi fuels with the TD. All I can find is that the TD block head bots go to 130 foot pounds and the non TD blocks only are 100 foot pounds. I'm 99% sure it was a internal casting change and thats how they were marked.

DrFoster

I don't know - that seems to be a pretty pretentious thing to say. You're telling me that a head tightened down MORE can't hold more cylinder pressure than one that is lightly tightened down?

I’m just not sure. To me it sounds a bit incongruous. I’ll buy what Bob’s saying.

Westech

CPL
That was the problem they were trying to fix. I would think that the TD block would take more psi but even the N/A motors have headgasket problems. man if your looking for more power change out the motor. I just got ahold of a 7.9 turbo out of a school bus and the overdrive trany. Dont push a multi too hard you will be walking home.

DrFoster

I'm still going to keep my word and if the engine blows on my deuce (holy cow, if anyone ever sells one around here.. haha) with this turbo, I'll buy all of you guys a beer. I'm not going nuts with it, and up here we can run at least 3-4 psi more than at sea level... Maybe it sounds like a lot, but it will still be gentle enough to keep things in line.

I've got the money to replace the motor if it does fry, and then a great excuse to get a 5.9 CTD in there, but that isn't the goal.

nevrenufhp

Westech said:
That was the problem they were trying to fix. I would think that the TD block would take more psi but even the N/A motors have headgasket problems. man if your looking for more power change out the motor. I just got ahold of a 7.9 turbo out of a school bus and the overdrive trany. Dont push a multi too hard you will be walking home.
Who makes that 7.9? Sounds unusual.

rdixiemiller

Years ago, when I was racing, we used to use head studs instead of bolts. We used studs with fine top threads, allowed the same clamping pressure with less tightening torque. Kept us from wearing out the holes in the block when you were tearing the engines down every few races.
It was considered a requirement when running an aluminum block.
I think the multifuel suffered from a head gasket design problem early on. Not necessarily an engine issue, but a gasket material or design issue. I would imagine that a modern design gasket made from the best available materials would be much more reliable than the original. I don't know if anyone ever made a real improvement to the gasket, as this was mostly a military engine.

My main concern is the failure mode of a deuce. #6 rod seems to fail on the ones I have seen. I imagine if you run low on oil, #6 goes dry first. #6 is probably the last journal to build oil pressure as well, so starting up and imediately revving the motor probably beats the rod bearing out rather quickly. An electric booster pump to build pressure before cranking would probably be a good thing.

As long as it is taken care of, the LDT465 seems to hold up well. Bjorn has put a lot of miles on his, so has Kenny. I imagine the care that is taken with the motor has a lot to do with the reliability.

Hop it up! See how it does!

most of the ventilated mf engines that i have saw were turboed. and the turbo's were bad. i was thinking that the turbo craped out and dumped the oil up the stack and starved the engine of lubrication. # 6 must be at the end of the line for oiling. just my thoughts.

Trango

By the way, the TD comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. Although it does give you a more bombable block, the Thick Deck casting isn't going to let you throw 100 psi into the intake. ;)

This reminds me of the Oldsmobile 350's, you know, the diesels that got put into american sleds, and had head gasket issues and everyone hated em? Well, those engines suffered from stretched head bolts like no tomorrow, which tended to cause recurring head gasket failures. Guys are running them now with studs and getting good service out of them.

What's blowing on the LDT head? Is it stretched bolts? If so, some properly sized studs (with a good unthreaded piece in the middle) will stretch alot less.

Good thread.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great points Bob and yes the 350 olds diesels are out there and running great. I've had a few and love em.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks