• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Move

JSF01

Well the day has finally come where I start my drive from Montana to Virginia. If I were to drive directly there total trip would have been 2300 miles about. Instead I am planning on doing some sight seeing so the trip will be mor like 3100 miles. I figure Some people may be interested in hearing about the trip so here it is as it happens. For this trip I am towing a 72 Mini (not actually a 72 somebody switched vin numbers on it at some point so its year is unknown)

I left this morning at about 11:00 and limited my self to 55 mph figuring I should not push my truck any more than I have to. If somthing major breaks I could be really screwed. I covered 380 miles today before calling it a day leaving me 200 miles until my first destionation Mt Rushmore. So far uneventful but here are my observations so far.

1. The bad, when it comes to hills boy is she slow to clime. A few I was doing only 35-40 up (I got passed by semi's going up hill)

2. The neutral, every one passes you when you are only going 55. Fun fact you can tell how much power a car (or truck) has by how far back they drop to pass you. The less power the farther back they drop.

3. The good, 18 mpg while towing. I am quite happy with that, though it does have me thinking. Usually when I drive on th highway I am doing 70-75 and only getting 18-19 mpg, If I did 55 with out a load I wonder what I'd get.

Like I said not to much interesting stuff today but here are some pictures.

Attachments

JSF01

A quick run down of places I plan on hitting before I leave this morning

Mt Rushmore
Badlands National park
Mall of America
Lincoln's Tomb
Duesenberg museum
CMP
Air Force Museum at Wright Patterson
more to be added later

jeeplvr247

Sounds like a great trip although I am not sure if it was necessary to tow that mini, it looks like it would fit pretty well in the back or on the roof. Watch out for the one fingered salute driving 55 on the interstate, I have seen my fair share as the cars go wizzing by.

GPrez

I think that tow dolly weighs more than the mini. Mt. Rushmore is a cool place to see. I saw the Badlands from interstate 90, but didn't go thru it. I will be in August this year on the bike though. Have a safe trip and enjoy the journey.

TCUCV

Good luck on your journey, take your time. You probably won't be able to appreciate a trip like this again anytime soon. I'm jealous, and remember salutes go both ways[thumbzup]

mudman

Whoa, whoa!!!!! First off what are ya do'n leaving Montana? I know Great Falls is a little weird..but Virgina??? This will get'm rialed up some!!! All the luck on your adventure and at 55 you aren't going to miss a thing!!! Smile baby!!!!

Firejareen

Where are you headed to in Virginia? If you are coming in on I-81, I am a mile off exit 60. I can cook you a meal. Keep us up to date on your trip, and as has been said, stay safe.

JSF01

First some answers
What is CMP? Civilian Marksmanship Program? Cardiomyopathy? Condensed Matter Physics?

If you pass within 50 miles of Lexington, KY, give me a shout. I'll by you lunch.
Its the Civilian Marksmanship Program, I collect old military rifles and currently have a M1903A3 with no barrel or stock that i'd like to restore (must resist urge to buy rifles while there). I do appreciate the offer but I don't think ill be closer than 140 miles from Lexington KY
Where are you headed after Mt Rushmore?
Badlands National Park, More below
Whoa, whoa!!!!! First off what are ya do'n leaving Montana? I know Great Falls is a little weird..but Virgina??? This will get'm rialed up some!!! All the luck on your adventure and at 55 you aren't going to miss a thing!!! Smile baby!!!!
I am military and got orders. I am orginally from NJ so Virginia is close enough to home I can vist more often.
Where are you headed to in Virginia? If you are coming in on I-81, I am a mile off exit 60. I can cook you a meal. Keep us up to date on your trip, and as has been said, stay safe.
I am going to Langley. While that section of my trip is still a bit un planned as of yet since I am still thinking about possibly making a surprise stop to see my parents most likely I wont be using I-81, But like i told mckeeranger I do really appreciate the offer.

Alright the part that every one is waiting for todays trip

I left Buffalo WY at about 10 local time after gassing up and buying some snacks for the road and headed to Mt Rushmore (picture 1, Which if it were dark out would get subtitled a quote from a movie I am sure you can guess). WY is not that fun to drive it seemed all up hill (picture 2), infact I believe thats where the phrase up hill both ways comes from as I swear I literally saw the highway going the other direction going up hill while I was going up hill at one point. On the plus side to keep myself entertained I noticed a few funny named places for example "Crazy Woman Creek". There was also moorcroft which while not funny in itself I just thought to my self it sounds like it would be a parody of the game World of Warcraft.

I eventually got to the Black Hills National Forest (picture 3) durring which I had to travel along som narrow winding steep roads. (picture 4) that was interesting if not a bit nerve wracking, though a Semi passed me when I finished that section of road (picture 5) I came across a frozen lake (picture 6) even though it was about 60 out and people were ice fishing. That ice must get pretty thick in the winter to be frozen enough still to walk on (or people were being stupid about it which could be true too) I stopped a few places an took photos (pictures 7 & 8). I than got to Mt Rushmore at 2:30 (picture 9) I spent two hours looking around an did the small hiking trail (picture 10)

I left about 4:30 and headed towards Badlands National Park (closest entrance being about 75 miles away) Let me say a mile and a half winding road with a 10% decline will make a truck with a trailer really want to go much faster than 55 which is scary enough. 55 feels like your doing 80 down hill with a trailer. I pulled into Wall SD about 6ish for the night which puts me about 7 miles from the Badlands which ill hit in the morning before continuing on to the Mall of America (why, because when you are looking for places to see on a long trip and 3 of your 13 co workers are from MN it tends to get recomended)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks