• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

the multi-fuel engine on a Deuce

wacak20

hey all, this is my first post ever. on the site. and i would like to say, this forum is a freakin treasure trove of knowledge i love it!

but on a more serious note, im thinking about buying a deuce and a half with a multifuel engine. and i was wondering by multi fuel what does that exactly mean?

i know people say that i can eat anything that you feed it, but really can it? what are the side effects? what are the pros and cons?

ive heard people say that they run just straight used engine oil and or hydraulic oil and i think that's crazy talk right there. if its true, im siked for it! but i need the true information about it. do i have to mix it with anything? or can i just use straight 100% used engine oil..

it would be great to hear the answers! and thank you all for looking this over, i have no clue about the tech specs about a duce and before i go headlong into buying one i would like to know the pros and cons about them.. other then looking like the coolest **** thing that has ever graced this amazing earth haha :)

First off, everyone is going to tell you to use the search function. I recommend using it as well.

There is a subsection of this forum called "alternative fuels" that has all of the answers in it. It appears that you might have been reading it already.

But yes, to answer your question, the deuce can run on 100% motor oil, power steering fluid, etc. That is what the multifuel engine was made for. Just filter it and separate the water out and you're ready to burn it as fuel.

Welcome to the site.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

You can run a mixture of various flammable liquids......to include gasoline, waste motor oil, waste vegetable oil, hydrolic, transmission fluid, etc.

I try to run 30% diesel fuel, 30% waste motor oil, 30% waste veggie oil and 10% gasoline...works good for me....your milage may vary.

With the climate in Lost Wages you should have no prob with thickening.

Make sure you keep the filters clean if you run anything except straight diesel.

Pre-mixing fuel and letting it settle for a few days out in the sun will allow the crap to settle to the bottom....you can then pump the good stuff off the top and leave a few inches of stuff on the bottom.

Alredneck

Banned
The key is filtering the waste product.

I have used 100% gas in my deuce and it will run. It also vapor locks in the summer. I reccomend only use gas if you have to or mix it with some other type of oil/hyd fluid.

davey8943

Slightly off topic, but...

I am puzzled as to how/why the Multi "runs like poo" on gasoline?

I guess I could just put about 10 gallons into the tank next time I go for a fill-up, but does anyone have a video of what the engine does running on gasoline?

Any technical explanation as to why it runs bad? I could guess at it, but I will let someone more experienced explain it...

Thanks for the insight,
Dave

Alredneck

Banned
IF the FDC is hooked up and working properly it will run better, as it will compensate for the different viscosity of the fuel being used. APoc bypassed runs like **** on 100% gas, and vapor locks. Louise FDC hooked up and runs on gas well, makes a pop corn popping crackling sound ( kinda cool ) why beats me. In the summer will vapor lock

If not, its a crap shoot, I think it has something to do with the BTUs of gas versus other fuels!

baxter

The biggest problem with running 100% gas as I understand is the fuel has little or no lubrication for the injectors and pump

IF the FDC is hooked up and working properly it will run better, as it will compensate for the different viscosity of the fuel being used. APoc bypassed runs like **** on 100% gas, and vapor locks. Louise FDC hooked up and runs on gas well, makes a pop corn popping crackling sound ( kinda cool ) why beats me. In the summer will vapor lock

If not, its a crap shoot, I think it has something to do with the BTUs of gas versus other fuels!
So If the FDC is bypassed gas is a no go? What kind of ratio would you suggest for a bypassed multifuel running gasoline?

wacak20

right, thats what ive heard. gas is bad... i also heard the all the JP stuff is bad as well. but at the same time ive also heard good things about it. i dont know about yall, but im sure i wont be using JP8 anytime soon in my life haha

Alredneck

Banned
You can still use gas with a bypassed FDC! It just wont change the amount of fuel going through the IP depending on how thin or thick it is. Is there a easier way of explaining this?

JP fuel, some consider dirtier than the equivalent diesel. If its free I wouldnt hesitate throwing it in the tank. Be careful with AV fuel. Read the TM!

area52

Under the resources tab up top, look under tech manuals for the multi fuel operator guide and the LDS trouble shooting manual. They will explain what you need to know

stumps

Usually, when the FDC is bypassed, the fuel (smoke) screw is turned down a couple of turns, and the drop screw is turned up a couple of turns. This optimizes the mixture for diesel fuel, and makes it rather wrong for gasoline.

Properly adjusted, you shouldn't notice any significant difference in performance using gasoline vs. diesel. I am sure that it will sound different, though. Also, the MF injection pump is pressure oil lubricated, and all its moving parts that are fuel lubricated are hardened steel. This helps protect it when operating with gasoline. Tossing some motor oil into the witches brew in the tank would be very helpful too!

-Chuck

militarysteel

make sure you add your Lucas Oil Stabilizer to the engine oil, it helps out a lot! TONS!

if ya got it, burn it, ATF kinda smells like burnt carpet though haha.

baxter

I run alot of Used ATF and it seems to run good winter and summer. During the summer I will add some WMO the only difference I see is my EGT's are higher.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks