• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The New Deuce And I Can't Wait!

AGE|kshaufl

Yeah I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come.

So, I decided to buy an M35A2 w/w D-Turbo Deuce from "Monkeyboyarmy".

Did I mention that he was showing me all of the vehicles he had in 20 Degree weather with 1 1/2 foot of snow on the ground. What a great guy! He is currently swapping out the transfer case and getting it ready to roll down the road. Should be a couple of weeks.

What should I know right off of the bat?

1. Brakes are Important! (Already read a lot about this subject.)
2. Tools. (Not sure what is really important to have. I have a bunch already.)
3. Fuel Mixtures. (Hmm?) I may be able to get an unlimited supply of 40W HD oil for Natural Gas Compressors.
4. Local or National shops to have on my Favorites List.

Any Other Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I also need to mention, This is a great Site! :beer:

Thanks in Advance.

AGE|kshaufl

Well, he is putting the wipers and mirrors back on it. The motor has 45 miles on it since it was swapped at I level Maintenance. I was thinking of starting with some kind of coating on the Cab Floor and the Bed. Maybe a little sound proofing. Then next year putting singles on it. $,$$$.$$! The paint is pretty decent too so?? I dunno!

91W350

Grab a filter wrench for the primary filter. They are smaller than a standard Chevrolet V8 oil filter wrench. I had two in my tool box at home, but failed to bring one for my recovery and it cost me a 100 dollar service call. I would also recommend all three fuel filters with a second spare primary filter until you know the tank and content's condition. Feed it a steady diet of #2 diesel from a busy truck stop and additive until you know for sure what you have in the tank. The multi fuel is more forgiving than most diesels, but old dirty, watery, mossy fuel will cause you a ton of grief. I do not have a lot of multi fuel experience, but my prior diesel experience has taught me you cannot be too careful with fuel. That is a very nice looking truck! Glen

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Grab a filter wrench for the primary filter. They are smaller than a standard Chevrolet V8 oil filter wrench.
Not exactly sure what this means, to spin off the filter housing? DO NOT DO THAT, use a 1" wrench on the bolt at the top of the filter housing. Spinning off the "can" - can cut the gasket and cause problems.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What Gimpy said.....never heard of stock spin ons on a deuce. Unless someone added a spin on kit the 1" Box end wrench is what you remove the canisters with. If you are very careful you can reuse the old gasket. Putting a new one on while working upside down can be a real PITA.

oddshot

What should I know right off of the bat?

Just a word to the wise ...

If you feel the urge to ask a real NUBE question ...

#1. Be sure you read ALL the manuals first ...

THEN

#2. Do a complete and through search of the topic ... both on this forum ... and down yonder on the Hot roddin' and modification thread.

If you don't find an answer ...

THEN and only then you can go ahead and ask yer question.

Make certain that you use the spell and grammar check.

You don't want to go and rile up the "Mary Kay Ladies" around here. :shock:

One of them will be by any moment to give you a list of their pet peeves.

Seriously ... you sould like you got it pretty together ...

Just download copies of the TM's. Those things will get you through almost anything.

oddshot

AGE|kshaufl

I have downloaded all of the manuals and am moving one of my old PC's to the garage for quick reference.

I have driven them when I was in the Marines back in the 80's. I fell in love with them then. I drove both the A2's and the A3's. I always preferred a stick but the Allison Tranny is nice too. Picked the A2 because of the Multi-fuel capability.

Like the looks a little better too. Sorry A3 guys. All Kidding aside. They are both really "Sexy Trucks" and am not afraid to say it.

oddshot

I have downloaded all of the manuals and am moving one of my old PC's to the garage for quick reference.
Yep.

I backed mine up to DVD discs ... but now I'm putting them on them little memory stick things ...

My wife got me one of the Sony "readers" for Christmas. I throw that ... and the memory thing in a bag ... and the manuals go with me ... along with my tool box.

just in case.

oddshot

dabtl

Beware! I had one like that one time. It was a secret death trap. You are not save around it.

I can offer you $500 cash right now to take it away so you will not be endangered.

Honest.

paulfarber

Wait, you bought a truck with a bad transfer case that needed to be swapped out?

Wha??? Is there a new, out of the crate unit being put in? Or just another mystery transfer case?

After he 'fixes it' I hope you are not going to drive it home any great distance. I'd tell him you want to see AT LEAST 100 miles on the new transfer to make sure it was done correctly.

"The motor has 45 miles on it since it was swapped at I level Maintenance."

Who fed you this line of horse manure? Level 1 maint is the driver. Any of your drivers TM show how to swap an engine? Unless there is a massive typo? The hours and mileage numbers on the gauges are nowhere near accurate. Unless you have the depot tag, you are really, really taking the bait.

I hope you the best of luck.. I would have RUN from this truck.. unless it was free.

mikey

semper fi dog, welcome aboard...

are you getting a clear title with the truck?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/61173-big-boy-tools-deuce.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/3229-deuce-power-bleeder-r4x4-style.html

there is a whole section on alternative fuels... many people run straight wmo, but filtering is the key... im picking up a wolverine centrifuge to filter wmo down to .5 micron.. many people here have home made filtration systems that work...

so many resources youll get to know... i know im missing a lot... this is just a short list off the top of my head:

Kublo's Military Surplus
od iron
east cost surplus
napa
harbor freight
ebay
JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB
eriks military surplus
XM381
classified section here

AGE|kshaufl

Wow, that was a little harsh. No Offense taken or given.

Let me clarify, I didn't say Level #1. I said I (Eye) Level or Intermediate Level.
When these vehicles were in service there were 4 levels of maintenance with a 5th being basically scrapped (Now there are only 2). Let me know if I am wrong.

DOD Maintenance Levels Link

1. Individual - None Specified (Driver / Pilot)
2. Organizational - O Level (Motor Pool / Aviation Group)
3. Intermediate - I Level (Specialized / Major Component Swaps)
4. Depot - D or Depot Level (Complete Refurbishment / Stripped and Rebuilt)
5. Not sure what this was called (Demilled, Scrapped, or Salvaged)

This was how it was when I was in the USMC in the 80's and early 90's (although I was in the air wing, we had truck too). LOL
Not sure how the Army did it.

I guess I kinda asked for it though??? Hmm. It's okay though. Yes, it will be tested the same day I pick it up. It will not be paid for till the repairs are made and checked.

Yes, I am getting a clear Ohio Title. Thanks for the links.

I have been reading about the WMO filters and the Road Taxes.
Also have been checking on how to run Super Singles. I have heard the Michelins dry rot pretty easy so might get some Goodyears in the fall.

Last edited:

Bill W

Just a word to the wise ...

If you feel the urge to ask a real NUBE question ...

#1. Be sure you read ALL the manuals first ...

THEN

#2. Do a complete and through search of the topic ... both on this forum ... and down yonder on the Hot roddin' and modification thread.

If you don't find an answer ...

THEN and only then you can go ahead and ask yer question.

Make certain that you use the spell and grammar check.

You don't want to go and rile up the "Mary Kay Ladies" around here. :shock:

One of them will be by any moment to give you a list of their pet peeves.

Seriously ... you sould like you got it pretty together ...

Just download copies of the TM's. Those things will get you through almost anything.

oddshot

Please excuse the above post as we have some WINEY NUBEES on this site that get their panties in a knot because another member was a big meanie to them, this would not be much of a issue if the site had a age restriction ( No One under the age of 12 allowed ).

Anyway keep us posted on your delivery/ pick up date

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks