• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The new guy here

98AmericanTruck

Hello, I just registered on the forum about 10 minutes ago because you guys really seem to know your stuff on these CUCVs. I'm interested in buying a M1008 within the next year but want to look around and get more info on these trucks, right now I've got a gas 83 k2500 GMC suburban (my 1st truck, and my baby) but I want this beefed up military truck, to drive to work every day, then out to the woods when I want. I've seen several around my town, and some of my military family members have driven them years ago. I am going to look at one tomorrow (a local salvage yard has about 4 of them that they run around in) and get a close up look, and a test drive if I'm lucky.
If anyone could give me some pointers at what to look for (I'm new to the 6.2 diesel and the heavier military parts) and maybe some deeper background info on these rigs (I only know some basics behind them) it would be awesome of you.
Thanks to anyone who's read this all the way through, I'm kinda new to this forum stuff.

wafinley

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome new guy, from a guy that is new to CUCV's. I will be picking up my first M1008 in a month or so depending on when it gets ready. This is a great site. I will pass on to you what was passed on to me....Read the CVCU Sticky Helpful Threads. They are a wealth of information.

So a big welcome from Kansas...

98AmericanTruck

Great to be here, thanks guys, I'm excited to check out this M1008 tomorrow, I don't even know if it's for sale but they don't mind when i do some looking around (got some parts for my suburban from them a few years back)

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome! :beer:

First of all, be clear on what you are getting: It's a 1984 Chevy 1 ton with an anemic diesel engine, some beefier springs, a few odd military parts, and some history. That's it. No beefed up frame, no uber-special engine or transmission, no magic. It lacks creature comforts such as sound deadening and air conditioning, and it's 30 years old and needs maintenance.

If that's what you are looking for, you are in the right place. :)

98AmericanTruck

My '83 Suburban is all rubber floor, no a/c, and rides like a rock, i love these old trucks and am willing to do the work, thank you for saying that though. There is a history part I love too, I'm the 2nd owner of my suburban that was bought new by the fire department in the next town over, the history behind that thing is awesome and the military trucks mean that to me too

PeeWeeQ

Welcome! I've been her almost 4 years--the learning never stops. Enjoy the resourcefulness that is in abundance here...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PeeWeeQ

Marcus is right on about the maintenance... Clean the electrical connections, do the Doghead relay mod, and, if I were you (and I know Marcus will back me up here while CUCVRUS will shoot me down ;-)) ditch the stock mechanical fuel pump for an electrical one along with a spin-on fuel filter.... Eliminates problems down the road, it's easier to fix, and make it less prone to leaks...

98AmericanTruck

I'll keep that in mind, what about checking the glow plugs before firing it if it's sat for a while? Or checking injectors? Any tips on what to look for when checking one over?

PeeWeeQ

Mine ran a little rough when I first got it, so, I just went ahead and replaced the glow plugs and it did run better--it's really easy and not too expensive. That's just me though. There are ways to test them and see, but, when I suspect a problem, I go on impulse and just replace stuff...

The impulse thing--the area around my fuel pump was leaking from somewhere like a stuck pig. So, I took it out, stuck in a block off plate, and, put in a Mr. Gasket 12D electric pump....

Last edited:

Cucvnut

Welcome. Your 6.2 will be slow, horrible over 55 mph with stock tires but if you get one you will love it.

Welcome from Oregon.

Post script. Turbo.

GunnyM1009

Welcome from East Alabama and West Georgia. I am kinda new to CUCV's as well but this site is a wealth of knowledge. Just prepare yourself that there are going to be issues ti be sorted out before they run reliably and properly but once you get it done these trucks become conversation pieces at every place you stop. They do around here anyway. Just about anything you need to know is somewhere on this forum and if you cant find it then ask. Good luck buddy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks