• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The next new 803A owner....

71Highboy

So I bought a MEP-803A generator that was Reset in 4/13. It has 2.2 hours on the reset tag, so the same oil has been in it since 2013. It still has the break-in tags on it and it is up to 3.1 hours (so I could test it prior to purchase).

Since I want to change to another break-in oil for the 1st 100 hours, and I am somewhat diesel stupid, what would you recommend for break-in oil? I am on another forum that indicated that the JD oils they are using is significantly detrimental to their equipment (Blackstone results indicating excessive wear). What diesel compatible break-in oil would be a highly regarded substitute?

Same forum also documents Delo going downhill, so I will probably stick with Rotella once I get to regular 'run' oil.

Anyway, I have been reading here for 2 weeks, downloaded the manuals, started working on a load bank, and prepping to wire up to the house.

Nice to be here and TIA!

1800 Diesel

If the unit hasn't been run since the reset and the one time you ran it, I'm not sure you need to change it to a new break-in oil. If you're concerned about water or contamination you could always drain a little from the bottom fitting after several days of no running to see if any water comes out or if the oil looks milky. Otherwise I'd be inclined to just R&R the oil filter and stay with the break-in oil added by the reset activity.

And a big FL panhandle welcome to the forum!

Chainbreaker

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you got a very nice unit there!

I am sure others will chime in about their thoughts on best break-in oil, most likely will be JD. However, if you really want to dig into the nuts & bolts of oil I would recommend a visit to the BITOG forum if you haven't already been there. Those guys get down to the chemistry and metallurgy of oil vs machine: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forum_summary

So where abouts is Denver of the East? Another mile high city or East Denver?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I bought a MEP-803A generator that was Reset in 4/13. It has 2.2 hours on the reset tag, so the same oil has been in it since 2013. It still has the break-in tags on it and it is up to 3.1 hours (so I could test it prior to purchase).

Since I want to change to another break-in oil for the 1st 100 hours, and I am somewhat diesel stupid, what would you recommend for break-in oil? I am on another forum that indicated that the JD oils they are using is significantly detrimental to their equipment (Blackstone results indicating excessive wear). What diesel compatible break-in oil would be a highly regarded substitute?

Same forum also documents Delo going downhill, so I will probably stick with Rotella once I get to regular 'run' oil.

Anyway, I have been reading here for 2 weeks, downloaded the manuals, started working on a load bank, and prepping to wire up to the house.

Nice to be here and TIA!
Howdy,

Another forum? Blackstone test? If a engine was properly built, and you use break-in oil, you will have break-in wear items in your oil. That is the exact purpose of break-in oil. It is different than standard oil in that it is also non-detergent oil.

Break-In oil for the low hour MEPS

You could have 10 fresh engines built and all run the same way with break-in oil, and the test results will be different for each. That is just the nature of the beast.

The break-in oil in your unit is John Deere Break-In oil. That is what the depot uses.

71Highboy

How about some pictures? Good ones of the engine compartment and behind the control panel?
If you are more specific about what you would like to see, I will be happy to take as many pics as you desire.

Please forgive me if these are not what you are looking for:

Inside Control Panel 2.jpgFuel Side.jpgInside Control Panel.jpg

View during the load test:
Load 1.jpg

edit: If you are looking for Hi-Res photos, I can post them somewhere else for you to retrieve.

71Highboy

Congrats and welcome to the addiction...
Now that I have loaded it and had problems keeping it above 75% I am wondering if a MEP-802 wouldn't have been a better choice... ;)
Temps in the house were such that the furnace/heat pumps/water heaters didn't cycle much, but there were a couple of times when I had the Oven, dryer, heat guns (1500W each) running and 'something' kicked on that really bogged it at 125%.
It was good having the heat guns near the Gen set so I could turn off 3KW pretty quickly.

I will be happy to keep this one and build a good resistive load bank so I don't have the use the whole house as my variable load bank... ;)

csheath

That's a good clean looking unit you have. It has the new style fuel pump, the metal shaft switches, fuse mod already done, and clean operable gauges. You should get good service from that one. I would connect a good quality multimeter at the lugs to verify voltage and hertz and let er rip.

During my previous outages I have struggled to get to 50% but many here have told me I shouldn't worry about it. The next time I need it I am going to just run it and see what it does. In fact I may just turn off the supplemental heat strip breaker and leave the rest of the house active to see if it will handle it. I exercise and test my generator once a month with a 40 amp load so that should clean it out if it has any wet stacking from use.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that I have loaded it and had problems keeping it above 75% I am wondering if a MEP-802 wouldn't have been a better choice... ;)
I learned the same lesson but with a MEP003. The only thing that would put it over its head was the heating coils on the heat pump.

So.. Now I have a fleet of various sized generators so I can match the source with the load. Yea, Its a sickness.

Bmxenbrett

I actualy had a 803 and 802 at the house and didnt onow what one i wanted to keep. Put the 802 onto the house and i could do everything i wanted so never even hooked up the 803.
The 802 will run my 1/2hr well pump and GE heat pump water heater along with any other parasitic loads that i didnt get turned off before the test. It will also run my electric clothes dryer, thats about max. 26amps at 240v, just under 6kw running.

Guyfang

Staff member
Highboy,

Great pictures. Great looking set. I am a nut about every little screw and bolt being in place. I didnt see anything missing. Good buy!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks