• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The NJ Flood trucks an update :)

emr

:mrgreen:...I put this under deuces because they were, i did not find the other thread but think this may be a good new one for an update, So many said "Hey the electronics is shot for sure , the motors are shot and will never run, "Those FMTV's will never run again, WELL GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!! the first one was in the shop and had all fluids drains and new in and SHE FIRED RIGHT UP!!!!!!!! Oh yea FMTV tough trucks tonight :) As they are known in the units here as the Armies new Submarines :) I think is pretty funny but the first one is up and running with only a fluid change, So I hate to rub it in, But never say never :) Those trucks went far and they sucked up alot and went further. :) Just an FYI :) all in fun guys :) :driver: [thumbzup]

emr

As for price it is just a complete lube change, As for the drivers, I believe its true they were let off because it was a very difficult time and they were trying to do there best .. and i believe it at least, But in all honesty i do not think they will live that down , They are soldiers doing there job and they get a pass from me at least . I have done alot of stupid things in my life so maybe i see things happen, maybe some never do, but "idiots" from a soldier to another is just not right. sorry.

Nonotagain

Having recovered quite a few vehicles that were flooded, the effects of flood damage don't always show up right away.

Besides mold that will start to grow in the foam seating and any sound proofing insulation, I suspect that these two trucks will end up either needing or having the wiring harness replaced and soon.

I didn't fault the first driver until the water got up to the windshield, but once the water was windshield high, it was time to pull the plug on this operation.

The second driver should have observed the route that the first driver took and saw if the route was passable.

The other issue was that the second truck had civilians inside. The State Trooper and the news photographer should have never been put in harms way.

70deuce

They get a pass in my book. Personally I wouldn't be calling any member of our Armed Forces whether Guard, Reserves whatever idiots. Just saying.

70deuce

EMR, I agree with you and should have not said "just saying". I am stating that saying these guys were idiots was indeed wrong. Bad headwork maybe but "idiots" doesn't fly with me. I have done some pretty stupid things while in the military and thank God there were no video cameras rolling when those things happened. I would be concerned with lives at risk but could care less how much it ws going to cost to fix the trucks.

I would say that these trucks will have serious electrical problems, but not likely right away. That usually takes a.while to manifest. Idiots? I think not, just could have used better judgment. I'm pretty shure they will tackle that situation different the next time. The important thing here is that they all survived, just a.bit wet, drivers and passengers alike. However, I'd bet that the passengers did not expect to go swimming, rather than riding... My hat is off to all those who responded to help out the best they could. I know there were many instances where I was very glad no one was making a video of some of my less than brilliant stunts! Thank The Lord that I survived and had the chance to learn from my errors.

Last edited:

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say this about the situation, while I won't call the soldiers in the trucks idiots, they are seriously lacking in the common sense dept. Having said that, 99% of National Guardsmen should not be anywhere near floodwatets. Why you ask? Because NONE of them are trained or equipped to be working around it. Not one of those guys had any kind of flotation device with them. They are VERY lucky none of them drowned. The OIC's (who many times are more concerned with getting chest candy) should be held responsible for putting these guys in an unecessarily dangerous position. This kind of job is best left to fire dept's and the Coast Guard or Navy. Until the Army Guard is properly trained, they should stick to filling sand bags or delivering supplies on dry roads. One of these days we're going to lose a bunch of soldiers from something like this.
:soapbox:

I will say this about the situation, while I won't call the soldiers in the trucks idiots, they are seriously lacking in the common sense dept. Having said that, 99% of National Guardsmen should not be anywhere near floodwatets. Why you ask? Because NONE of them are trained or equipped to be working around it. Not one of those guys had any kind of flotation device with them. They are VERY lucky none of them drowned. The OIC's (who many times are more concerned with getting chest candy) should be held responsible for putting these guys in an unecessarily dangerous position. This kind of job is best left to fire dept's and the Coast Guard or Navy. Until the Army Guard is properly trained, they should stick to filling sand bags or delivering supplies on dry roads. One of these days we're going to lose a bunch of soldiers from something like this.
:soaptbox:
You hit it dead on. None of them (NG), are ever properly trained for this type of mission. All they are usually told is that these vehicles will go ANYWHERE. Which we older guys know is so not true. They see the videos of that old deuce completely submerged with the driver wearing full scuba gear, with a one of a.kind fording kit, and think they can do the same thing. Oops! They know better now.

SGT LongT

Two points I would like to bring up about the last two comments. 1) With the current OP Tempo to state the NG is not properly trained is falling back on old stereotypes of "weekend warriors" 2) I can completely agree that there are those in command (both OIC & NCOIC) that are out to get "chest candy" but it is the NCOIC duty to protect the lower enlisted whenever possible and still accomplish the mission.
We can sit here all day long and play "should have, would have, could have" but I will concede that this has been a learning experience for everyone. All those involved in this incident will forever remember this experience and thanks to the proliferation of electronic video recording and the world wide web anyone who watches this video will also have learned from this as well [thumbzup]

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two points I would like to bring up about the last two comments. 1) With the current OP Tempo to state the NG is not properly trained is falling back on old stereotypes of "weekend warriors" 2) I can completely agree that there are those in command (both OIC & NCOIC) that are out to get "chest candy" but it is the NCOIC duty to protect the lower enlisted whenever possible and still accomplish the mission.
We can sit here all day long and play "should have, would have, could have" but I will concede that this has been a learning experience for everyone. All those involved in this incident will forever remember this experience and thanks to the proliferation of electronic video recording and the world wide web anyone who watches this video will also have learned from this as well [thumbzup]
Yep I was going to take my M35A3 to to the local boat ramp and see what's on the bottom of the lake....Thank God for that video, I'm so much the wiser.... ;)

jasonjc

I spent 5 years in the Army so I CAN say that it has its fare share of idiots. From pvts up to generals.

As for what happened here I'm too far away to say. I think you had to BE THERE to say.

KsM715

They get a pass in my book. Personally I wouldn't be calling any member of our Armed Forces whether Guard, Reserves whatever idiots. Just saying.

There are idiots in every career field including the armed forces. Just because you raised your right hand does not give you a free pass to be stupid. If there were no idiots in the armed forces there would be no need for the JAG and UCMJ. There's a difference in doing what some "butter bar" is "ordering" you to do, and taking on a task on your own.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks