• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Overall Fun Factor: M35A2 Deuce vs. M818 Tractor

kfleeman

I'm just getting into this mess, and I'm looking to purchase my first MV. Originally I wanted a M35A2, but recently some nice M818's caught my eye. Now I don't know which I would rather have. Both have their positives and negatives. I wanted to get some opinions from you guys who are much more experienced with MV's than I am.

I like the M35A2's for their lower price, air shift front axle, and turbo. I wish they were a little bigger (because bigger is better IMO) and had power steering though.

I like the M818's because they are bigger trucks, have good power steering, and good brakes. I don't like the sprag system in them (mostly because I don't understand it) and I wish they were turbocharged. It seems that a lot of you think they feel almost "sporty" compared to the deuce, so that's a plus as well.

I'm not looking to go 80 MPH or put gigantic 52 inch tires on my truck like some people do. It will stay in stock form and just be used as something fun to drive around the countryside and maybe do a little off-roading every now and again.

Which truck do you think I would enjoy more? Those of you who own one of both, which do you prefer? Which would be more reliable? Should I be afraid of the M818's sprags? And so on.... I really appreciate the help.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In many respects, "MV" are popular because they are cheap. Like any piece of equipment, they take maintaince periodically. The M35 is more common, therefore. more cheap components are availiable for them. The 800 Series are a real large truck, and not as common. Parts are going to cost more. If Folks had to pay commercial prices to maintain these vehicles, they would not be as popular.

Some aspects of the vehicles require more mechanixcal skill. The sprags systems, are that way. Tou have to be more of a mechanic, then a parts changer.

Lee in Alaska

beaubeau

There is also the issue of Fuel use today and in some states CDL license. How many people can ride with you in a M818 or a Deuce? How many hours spent in vehicle? Do U really need PS? Good Luck, Phil

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My M35A2 has been indispensible as a cargo hauler. When I bought it, I thought it would be a toy, but it really earns it's keep hauling.

To do that in an M818, you need a trailer and a big one.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 5-ton T/C uses an integrated pneumatic valve to move the sprag rather than the transmission linkage as found in the deuce. The 5-ton unit is also substantially more massive. Those two factors make it considerably more reliable, and subsequently, failures with the 5-ton sprag are markedly less common.

I'll echo clinto's comment about the bed. It will be much easier to justify your truck if it has some utility to complement the "fun" factor. If you decide on the M818, you could remove the fifth wheel and slap on a 12' deuce bed.

Pappa-G

Get the 818, strip the 5th wheel off put a 105 trailer box on the back and stretch the cab to fill the gap, or just get a shorty duce with a ps kit, or take and put a duce bed on a 5 ton or put a 5th wheel on your duce... you get the picture plenty of options. I like the extra umph that the cummins engine provides, being able to accelerate is a bonus for me. What ever you choose have fun with your truck!

kfleeman

Thanks for the input so far. To be honest, I really can't think of anything I would want to haul with the deuce. It's really not a big deal that I can't haul anything with the tractor.

I just want to get the one that I would have the most fun with in the end. I know that the decision is ultimately up to me, but I would like to hear what others think. I believe there are several members here who own or have owned both a deuce and a M809 series truck. It would be interesting to see which one they prefer. Looking forward to hearing more.... Thanks again.

jwaller

depending on where you drive the 818 being that it is a tractor will get lots more attention from the law than the deuce does. every time you attempt to drive by a weight station or pass a LEO you are in jeopardy.

M1075

Go with the M818 w/w. More HP, power steering, and the big wow factor! Great visibility of the rear axles articulating when offroad. In my opinion, the M818 is one of the best looking MVs ever made!

kfleeman

I am in the process of interpreting the Missouri law right now to be sure I can legally and without worry drive the M818. As long as I'm 100% legal, the police can pull me over all they want. The weigh stations won't be an issue either. There isn't one within 100 miles of here.

I'm beginning to lean towards the M818 now, but we'll see what happens. Looking forward to more opinions..... Thanks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having a M35 would be like having a wrecker; where you wonder how you ever got along without it. You will be hauling things you never thought of before. :wink:

Capt.Marion

That Cummins NHC 250 is a beast. They sound real purdy, and have more than enough power. As long as you are willing to lift and haul the parts for a 5 ton (most are big) and pay for the parts, you should be fine.

kfleeman

Storage space won't be a problem. I don't have a problem with the bigger and heavier components of the 5 ton. Hopefully I won't need too many parts anyway.

Looking beyond the differences in usefulness, which the deuce wins at, which truck would be more enjoyable to drive and play with?

Would love to hear some more opinions. Thanks again.

DanMartin

Maybe Enjoyable to "Drive" and "Play" are two different things.

Deuce does not have power steering (well, some may have air-o-matic refits installed). In town they are a bear (yeah, yeah, 70psi in the front tires helps). However, they are smaller (relatively) and easier to maneuver (especially off-road). It's going to be give-and-take. The 2.5 and 5 tons were designed to do different things, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison to begin with.

However, the most important thing is...what do YOU want? It's YOUR truck...get what will make you happy.

wyomingjeep

Well just let life make the choice for you which one is easier for you to get and which one is in the best shape. Everything happens for a reason. When in doubt get both that way you can not go wrong.

kfleeman

At some point in the future I will have one of each, but for now I'll have to take one or the other.

I'll agree with wyomingjeep, the best thing I can do is get the one that's in the best shape and is the easiest to get. Right now that's the M818, so that's what I'll try for.

It doesn't look like either has any major disadvantages, so I should be fine either way. We'll see what happens.

Coveralls

At first I thought you were talking about a 813,comparing both cargo trucks. But it sounds like you know what the 818 is. I own both and would take the deuce over the 818. It's smaller for trail riding, uses less fuel, and you can haul things. Smaller turning radius when you drive through town. 818 needs a trailer to be functional. Then you need a CDL, and don't forget a straight truck is easier to back up than a tractor trailer. :roll: