• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The Overall Fun Factor: M35A2 Deuce vs. M818 Tractor

Capt.Marion

kfleeman said:
Looking beyond the differences in usefulness, which the deuce wins at, which truck would be more enjoyable to drive and play with?

Would love to hear some more opinions. Thanks again.
They way you're going to get a good answer for this is to go out and drive an 818 and a Deuce. then you'll know.

kfleeman

I'll agree with that. I know nobody can tell me which I will like better, but I can look at other people's opinions and use them to help me decide which I think I will enjoy more.

So far I have learned that the deuce will be more practical and economical, but the M818 will be more enjoyable to drive and own (IMO).

The way I see it, which could easily be wrong, we are in this hobby because we like our big green military vehicles. Not because we like our vehicles which can haul some stuff, and just happen to be military vehicles. Being able to use them for practical purposes is just a side benefit of this hobby, not the main focus. Just my opinion, I'm sure some will disagree.

For 73m819: I believe the turning radius of a deuce is about 35-37 feet. I may be wrong though.

m.walker

It really all boils down to what you prefer , I drive a semi so my preference is to something larger . I've driven deuces and though they are neat little trucks , I prefer bigger . Now people that are used to pickups think deuces are huge , try to ride or drive both and then make an educated decision . Where in Mo. are you located ? Maybe I could help you find people with the trucks you are considering to get you a ride/drive in . Mark

kfleeman

Hi Mark, I'm in SE Missouri about 400 miles from you. I have a lot of experience in big machines as well (though not semi's) and I also would prefer a bigger truck. I'm going to do my best to get ahold of a M818, but that doesn't mean I will end up with one. If I get a good opportunity to get ahold of a nice deuce I will take it. We'll see...

If you don't mind I may PM you with some licensing questions since you are in Missouri and drive a semi truck. Thanks for your help.

jwaller

I have both and don't know how I could ever get along without them. the 5 ton rides pretty stiff until you get some weight on it. the deuce rides a bit better and is easier on the body for longer trips.

I would recommend getting the deuce and working your way into the 5T. It's just an easier truck to deal with. cheaper and easier to maintain and cost half as much to drive as it gets double the mileage.

With the 5T you can always find a 105 trailer to pull to make hauling easier.

kfleeman

As for the hauling, I just remembered that my dad has a 20 foot Dynaweld trailer that will hook right up to the pintle hitch on the M818. I could haul more on it than I ever could in the bed of a deuce. It's rated for 20,000 or 25,000 pounds. So if I ever do find anything to haul, I'll be able to do it with the M818.

Now if I can get one bought......

FreightTrain

Banned
Being as your new to this,i would go with a deuce first.The components are basically the same between the deuce and 5 ton just larger,More expensive,and a little harder to find.Go to MV rallies and see if someone will let you drive their tractor.Another issue is a tractor will ride like an iron wheel wagon on a cobble stone road without a trailer on the back.A deuce will ride like a 1 ton Ford on a dirt road.While neither will be a nice smooth ride the deuce will be MUCH easier on your back and Arse!

tough decision...

I had a 1970 M35a2 non turbo about 9 years ago and loved that truck. The exhaust note and excessive smoke to a diesel fan was about as good as it gets. My dad and I now own a M812 bridge truck and two M818's all with the NHC 250 Cummins. Another M818 is coming once the EUC clears. And we won one of the the M35a2c's in North Carolina which we will be picking up with two of the M35a2c's that my uncle won from the same group. As much as I love big trucks like the M123's, M911's etc the duece is as practical as you can get. Small enough you can drive to Wal-Mart and big enough you can load the heck out of it with gravel, etc. Decent MPG's to boot for a 14k# vehicle.

Power steering- I think that is what makes a duece a duece. I liked not having power steering as it gives the vehicles that much more character. If you can't move the little 9:00x20's it might be a sign you might need to hit the weights.

Exhaust note- I'm a Cummins fan at heart but I'd have to say hearing a C turboed M35 is about as sweet as anything for exhaust noise. The NHC sounds pretty meaty at idle though.

The NHC 250 isn't a powerhouse by my standards. It's been a while since I have driven a M35 but If memory serves me correctly I'd rate them about the same for seat of the pants feel.

Whatever you get you will have fun with and as other have stated you can always buy another model to compliment your fleet... Have fun

Andy

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've owned more of both types of trucks that most people. Out of all of the trucks that I've owned previously and the ones I currently own, I'd say that an M35A2 is more fun than any other truck I've owned. Stick with a deuce for your first truck. Forget the 5 tons for now...my opinion.

Rattlehead

Well my first thought was to buy one of each, too!

If you are just getting it for a toy/cruiser/occasional off road, I would vote for the deuce. As others have stated, empty 5 ton tractors make for a very rough ride! They also cost a little more, which you could use that extra savings toward power steering if it bothers you. But the deuce is not hard to steer when rolling, you just have to turn the wheel a lot more. They are really not a problem to drive.

What would be really cool for your intended use is a bobbed (rear-most axle removed) deuce. Either with super singles, or the stock NDT's with duals in back. It would be much more maneuverable, a bit zippier, and they just look cool - like a pickup on a massive dose of steroids.

kfleeman

I'm open to either truck. I'm just going to take what comes along. There's a round of M818's coming up that are close enough to me that I could go and drive one back. That's a big plus right now. All of the upcoming deuces would have to be trucked to me, and that costs big $$$$.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a completely different point of view. When I had a 5 ton, folks didn't hesitate to ask to borrow it. The same folk went to borrow a deuce and quickly changed the mind when they found it had no power steering. If you have only one MV i'd go cargo, if you can have 2, then get a tractor. Having a tractor as your only MV kinda sucks!

kfleeman

At some point I will have both a deuce and an M818, but for now I have to get one or the other.

And if some folks don't hesitate to ask to borrow the 5 ton, I won't hesitate to ask for some rent money. :)

Thanks again for all the help everybody has given me.

EO2NMCB

If you have never driven large trucks before, I would go with the M35. If you are bobtailing in a M818 you have no weight on your drives. A deuce you at least have the wight of the bed on the drives. I'm not saying be any means that you arn't up to it, but remember that the M818 was built to go with a 5th wheel trailer.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patience is a virtue...wait for a truck at Ft. Leonard Wood. There is, or just was, an M35A2 or two there. Good luck.

fancyd

I want to sell a 1976 M35A2 deuce. $4,000.00 OBO
18K original miles
air actuated front end.
dually rear axles
turbo multifuel
David (505) 240-2482
Box 1205
Albuquerque, NM 87103