• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The quest for air brakes on an M211

ThumperTDC

I know folks have said it can't be done, but my father inlaw and I are heading down that road with our project quadra deuce. He is a former dump truck driver and machinist and I'm just the muscle behind this operation.

We recently picked up our first M211 parts truck, picking up a complete second truck this week and have a lead on a third. The plan is to make a crew cab with a GM diesel for the power plant. Since these are 60+ year old rigs and have heard the brakes weren't the best I mentioned the idea of air brakes and my father inlaw was all over it. He spent hours researching it as he is retired and has time to search. Anyway, he came up with a plan and today was tear down to see what it is going to take to get it done. Having a lathe and a mill in the shop, should be able to fab up everything needed, without having to pay someone.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

This is the start of the project, so when we get bass deep into it I will take a lot of pictures on everything we are doing as I know if it works out I am sure there will be others who would want to do the same. If it works out, the plan is to eventually put 22.5 super singles all the way around. The idea behind the project was not to stay original, but to go all out custom (because I can). Air brakes and 10 lug aluminum wheels is a good start. I'm thinking this is going to be about s 4 year project, so the updates might be delayed.

snowyrivers

Ahhhh

Seems that my boy beat me to a posting.

It's gonna be fun.

We gonna be on this stuff like a bad smell.

The kid can deal with the cab conversion and whatever, and I will concentrate on getting 6 big pretty Alcoa alloy wheels under it and air brakes to stop it.

Having owned several GM 6.2 and 6.5 powered trucks and nursing them through their teething issues, the experience there will help a lot with this project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks