• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The QUIET DEUCE

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the CUCV forum section:

vbrescueman said:
I know that you guys are using this in cucv's but what about in the deuce cabin? I'm sure it would quiet its operation immensely-?
vbr,
Gotta get that decibel meter first. And for EVERYONE HERE, RandyLBarnes installed a really nice muffler on his deuce. NOW all you hear is the engine and the whine of his 'C' turbo.

Yeah, yeah, I know I forgot to take pix. I was so impressed with the lack of sound coming out of his deuce I spaced it out. Sorry, but I'll go see him next week and will post pix then.

But after taking 'before' sound level measurements THEN I will be installing the muffler, take more sound level readings. Then install fatmat and take more sound level readings. Then install the jute and rubber matting AND take more sound level readings.

And yes, I'm posting this in the Deuce section next.

jim

carguy455

Ask Towerguy1 about that , he SAW one come on to me the day I was dragging my 53 home, she thought it was COOL !
And she was HOTTT too ! [thumbzup]

Jones

Hey Jim,
What brand and P/N on the muffler you say Randy put on to get down to nothing but engine noise and turbo whistle? I finished the exhaust on the baby HEMTT and I now have a system comprised of almost 10' of 4" exhaust pipe with three tasteful bends and ending with a flapper type rain cap. I'm thinking it may be just a teensy bit loud.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jones said:
Hey Jim,
What brand and P/N on the muffler you say Randy put on to get down to nothing but engine noise and turbo whistle? I finished the exhaust on the baby HEMTT and I now have a system comprised of almost 10' of 4" exhaust pipe with three tasteful bends and ending with a flapper type rain cap. I'm thinking it may be just a teensy bit loud.
Leonard,
I hate to admit it, but Randy told me make and pn and dummy me didn't write it down. I didn't hear anything past $68 and a can of black paint.

And like I said, I'm one of those 'empirical' type of guys. Which is why I GOTTA buy a decibel meter so I can show exactly what happens before and after each step. And I WILL present all data for anyone who wants to follow along.

And I'll also give all the info I can about products I've purchased. No one gave me anything free. I'm also funny about that. So I can call em as I see em. Good, bad or ugly...

jim

Jones

Thanks for the info Randy. What are the rough dimns on the muffler? I don't have a lot of room to work a muffler into on the baby HEMTT. Funny how something this big still has cramped quarters and pinch points.

houdel

And how can a Coastie afford a 2007 Cadillac? Pay rates must have gone up quite a bit since I was in the service, making $90/mo as an E-1!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt must have read my mind. I was thinking that if one wanted a quiet ride, buy a caddy.

houdel

Looks like military pay rates have gone up quite a bit in the last 36 years. Most any Field Grade officer would make more than I did as a graduate engineer working at General Motors. Of course, GM is going bankrupt. Come to think of it, so is the US Gov't. At least they can print more money when they need it!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FSBruva said:
Thanks for the translation, Kenny!! 100% correct!

Houdel - take a look:
http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/pay/bp/paytables/Jan2006_Basic_Pay.html

And to set the record straight, there is no 200? anything approved by my house's financial committee (Ms. FSBruva).

Matt
Matt,
That's because you ain't approaching the problem in the right way. It goes like this:

"No honey, I THINK YOU NEED THE NEW CAR IN THE FAMILY!" After you pick your better half up off the floor, help her choose her new car. Then let her figure out how to pay for it. And then help any way you can.

After she has her new car for a while (6 months is my minimum), you'd be surprised how soft they are for that second MV. Besides, new cars aren't really necessary. Let someone else take the hit on the depreciation. THEN swoop in for a nice used vehicle.

vbrescueman

OK- some definition is in order. I just mentioned a QUIETER ride...Not a quiet ride [thumbzup]
I have a muffler installed but flooring would definitely quiet the road nopise. I love being able to hear the engine run- You can tell when things dont sound quite right :wink:

FSBruva

wallew-

I am overdue one (1) boat already. She let me buy the M35A2 AND the parts M135. Not to mention, she has done as much work as I have tearing that M135 apart. So, I owe her the boat she wants. (Any girl who you have to fight over who gets to impact wrench is worth keeping happy)

Matt

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm tellin ya, nothing but sweet turbo sound, no raspy open exhaust sound. Maybe 50.00. Anyone got a DB meter close, I'm curious.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks