• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The sickness is real..

CapePrep

Gentleman, I have just made a deal to pick up an 803 on a trailer, 4K hours. I only just got my first gen set (802) 3 weeks ago!
The ad says it needs "flywheel bolt" replaced and in correspondence he says that he was told it runs, just needs a battery cable, couple of muffler bolts. Kind of a gamble, but if need be I could part it out for my investment cost. Which is $1700.....thoughts? Flywheel bolt???Going to try and figure out what that is.

Chrispyny

A gamble is getting a genset from auction. What you are describing sounds like a messed up genset someone else already reviewed and decided against messing with.
Please don’t take it thr wrong way.... I’d PASS.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that sounds like buying a can of beans taped back closed... its your money. You might be able to get it going and be happy with it... you might find its the project from ****, and you pass it forward because all it needs is a 'flywheel bolt'. YMMV.

stugpanzer

On the other hand though....if you can negotiate a bit you could probably at least break even and maybe make some money by parting it out. Those panels, doors, etc could fetch some decent cash I would think. Good luck!

Zed254

So he don't know if it runs but is selling it. Wonder why he bought it??

Needs flywheel bolt, battery cables, muffler bolts and gasket. Smells to me like motor did not turn easy, so he pulled the muffler for inspection, saw a lot of rust from open exhaust, tried to turn the motor with a pry bar, broke the flywheel bolt, and put it on craigs list.

I'm scared.

jamawieb

Pass and run away! It sounds like someone didn't have a clue as to what they were doing and broke several items, then decided to sell it off. $700 would be top dollar, at least you could sell the trailer for $400-$500 and make most or your money back. I'll sell you a perfect running, load tested 803a for $2k without batteries or $2400 with new optima red tops.

CapePrep

Thanks for feedback guys. I always like a challenge, but I also like my money in my pocket! The guy has been honest and this is his response from this morning after I asked some specific questions. Going to clarify whether "flywheel bolt" is crank bolt at front of engine or actually on flywheel. Thinking he used wrong terminology. But, to break the crank bolt took some serious leverage.
"To answer your questions. The flap on the top is not there. That was my exact thought when I tried to turn in over with the starter. Also im.selling it for the reason of not having the time and money to spend on it. It was acquired by tfhe airport through a federal web site that we are part of. We get thed equipment via government surplus if it's useful for the Airport. If it gets deemed not useful for.us we can then dispose of it. The motor turned over using a socket on the flywheel. The gentleman where I picked it up from said it" ran when it came in and didn't need anything". So with that being said I assumed the rotor on the gen set was the cause of it not turning over. I got it to turn about 2 turns using the flywheel and then the bolt broke.".
More info to follow once I hear back from him.

CapePrep

Jama, I wish we were closer, I would take you up on that!! We have been going back and forth and I just sent my final offer of $800. I think I could soak the cylinders, but the bigger issue is he broke the crank bolt head off at the pulley end. Let's see how this goes, I always like a good challenge!f
Pass and run away! It sounds like someone didn't have a clue as to what they were doing and broke several items, then decided to sell it off. $700 would be top dollar, at least you could sell the trailer for $400-$500 and make most or your money back. I'll sell you a perfect running, load tested 803a for $2k without batteries or $2400 with new optima red tops.

Haoleb

I am kind of surprised by the responses here. I am close to this set as well and saw the ad, to me I would rather gamble $1700 on a set that looks like it is probably fixable on a nice trailer over the junk I have been watching go on GP for twice the price.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jama, I wish we were closer, I would take you up on that!! We have been going back and forth and I just sent my final offer of $800. I think I could soak the cylinders, but the bigger issue is he broke the crank bolt head off at the pulley end. Let's see how this goes, I always like a good challenge!f
With the last information you posted , that's a parts generator.

jamawieb

Ahh yes, the infamous crank bolt. I've broke a couple of those back in the day, I've accidentally broke them by leaving the socket with a breaking bar on the crank bolt and turning the motor over aua. They are reverse threads and I was lucky that I had a couple of parts units to pull from. All the ones that broke came out easily by hand, I think one of them I had to use a small chisel to lightly make it turn.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahh yes, the infamous crank bolt. I've broke a couple of those back in the day, I've accidentally broke them by leaving the socket with a breaking bar on the crank bolt and turning the motor over aua. They are reverse threads and I was lucky that I had a couple of parts units to pull from. All the ones that broke came out easily by hand, I think one of them I had to use a small chisel to lightly make it turn.
If they have left handed threads then a regular drill bit will probably spin them out.

jamawieb

Just a suggestion but if it's hard to turn, which I imagine it is since the guy broke the crank bolt by turning it, go ahead and pull the head so you can see the damage. You want to make sure you don't have a lot of pitting in the cylinder. If you do, it's not going to matter if you get it turning because it won't be able to make compression. If this is going to be your personal unit, go ahead and replace the rings while you have the head off. The rings rust to the pistons and usually break so it will be a no go anyway. To replace the rings, all you have to do is pull the side cover off where the dipstick is located and then you have access to the rod bolts. Unbolt one at a time, then push the rod and piston up out of the block. Replace the rings and then drop it back in. You don't want to mix up the rod bearings so that is why I say do one at a time.
To pull the head, leave the intake/exhaust manifolds in place along with the injectors. Pull it all as one unit , this will make it go a lot faster process. And you can leave the fan shroud in place, just unbolt the water pump and lay it against the radiator, then after you pull the head, you can pull the water and fan out easily. Just remember to put it back in there first before putting the head back on.

CapePrep

Jama, this is good stuff! I made a deal with him and am getting the whole rig for under a grand. Once I get it back to the shop, take it off trailer, I will evaluate what is up with it and make a plan. I like your suggestion and advice. Will start to source head gasket and others to accomplish this. This is the one I plan on keeping if all goes well(until the next one comes across my bow!). Have any more crank bolts available?? Or where to find one? Thanks for your support.
Just a suggestion but if it's hard to turn, which I imagine it is since the guy broke the crank bolt by turning it, go ahead and pull the head so you can see the damage. You want to make sure you don't have a lot of pitting in the cylinder. If you do, it's not going to matter if you get it turning because it won't be able to make compression. If this is going to be your personal unit, go ahead and replace the rings while you have the head off. The rings rust to the pistons and usually break so it will be a no go anyway. To replace the rings, all you have to do is pull the side cover off where the dipstick is located and then you have access to the rod bolts. Unbolt one at a time, then push the rod and piston up out of the block. Replace the rings and then drop it back in. You don't want to mix up the rod bearings so that is why I say do one at a time.
To pull the head, leave the intake/exhaust manifolds in place along with the injectors. Pull it all as one unit , this will make it go a lot faster process. And you can leave the fan shroud in place, just unbolt the water pump and lay it against the radiator, then after you pull the head, you can pull the water and fan out easily. Just remember to put it back in there first before putting the head back on.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This sounds like as good a deal as this guys unit (pictures taken from Providence, RI Craigslist)

01616_e391llmob6V_1200x900.jpg00j0j_gOEN1g8FgnB_1200x900.jpg00q0q_2SD6uoCYJJ3_1200x900.jpg00q0q_5N5Ox9vsPsp_1200x900.jpg00t0t_665WcYIxR0e_1200x900.jpg00y0y_cfHlC2b5TDh_1200x900.jpg00101_amRHgnqaDcG_1200x900.jpg01313_kBZzkYLh5C5_1200x900.jpg00707_ihthqmjHsMz_1200x900.jpg00G0G_1WlDlyZapNr_1200x900.jpg

Who would pay $2400 for such a hack job? Oh wait, seemingly a lot of folks (considering GP recent history). I still have a hard time rationalizing peoples choices...

Haoleb

If you are interested in selling the trailer once you get the set off I might be interested.

Another member has an 803 with a junk engine he is parting out in the classifieds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks