• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The start of a return to OD green!

67Beast

Well, I've been busy working away at the 53' M37 I bought. Picking up a few missing items and removed a few add ons the the park service added to my truck. But it has been moving along nicely and today I started to spray it back to OD. I'm starting with the cab interior and inside of the bed. Once dry, I plan to move on to the exterior with a little wet sanding of the existing paint. About 12 years ago the park service stripped the entire truck to bare metal and repainted it. They did a nice job and the paint is still in really good shape. So I'm going to leave it and just add the #24087 OD over it.

Attachments

maxim

What?? Painting??? no welding...no hammering...no grinding on 50 years of rust....you got HEAT????? Sigh....well thats cool you can get work done and its a sweet truck. Your box looks really nice, I had to take a sledge to mine.

Maxim
50 miles north and 40 degrees colder.....

67Beast

Thanks, everybody. It is really nice to work on a clean truck and not have to deal with all the problems. I figure that I pay a little more up front, but more than make up for it with time saved. Yep Maxim it was a nice 72 degrees today in there while I painted. It makes it real nice to get things done.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tanner said:
Nice work, Dave! Any color you want, so long as it's 24087...

Tanner
David Doyle can tell you all about this, but if you want the Vietnam era OD semi gloss, Aervoe 24084 (997B) is almost a perfect match.....
Think FS595A or FS595B.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Outstanding (and fast!) work. :beer:

67Beast

cranetruck said:
Tanner said:
Nice work, Dave! Any color you want, so long as it's 24087...

Tanner
David Doyle can tell you all about this, but if you want the Vietnam era OD semi gloss, Aervoe 24084 (997B) is almost a perfect match.....
Think FS595A or FS595B.
I know there is a difference, but I already have all my other trucks painted with Gillespie 24087 and I would like them to all match. My M51 chem shelter is still in it's original paint and it is just slightly a different shade than my trucks.

Attachments

67Beast

Well, more progress as I have the base coats for the 24087 on the truck. I painted 2 heavier coats on and will allow them several days to cure. I'll then put the hood and side panels and a few other pieces back on the truck and shoot the whole thing with a good top coat to make sure it all is blended together. Ah, I love painting Army trucks, just mask off the glass, lights, and gauges, and then paint everything you see green! :lol: :lol: My goal is to have the truck all finished up before I leave for vacation in the FL Keys on Feb. 26th.

Attachments

M-37Bruce

More Jealous Now

67Beast said:
Well, more progress as I have the base coats for the 24087 on the truck. I painted 2 heavier coats on and will allow them several days to cure. I'll then put the hood and side panels and a few other pieces back on the truck and shoot the whole thing with a good top coat to make sure it all is blended together. Ah, I love painting Army trucks, just mask off the glass, lights, and gauges, and then paint everything you see green! :lol: :lol: My goal is to have the truck all finished up before I leave for vacation in the FL Keys on Feb. 26th.
Some one already said it, but I gotta repeat it, "no banging/welding or grinding" where's the dang horse-shoe?
Nice Job,

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: More Jealous Now

Dave, if I told you once, I told you a thousand times. Stop making us look bad.

Great looking paint job!

67Beast

Thanks guys. I really got lucky in buying this truck sight unseen and it being as clean as it was. The Midland County Park guys really took great care for it over the years. They had had the truck for over 30 years. I could tell it was the pride of thier fleet at one time. I could tell when I picked it up that the oldtimer shop manager really babied the truck and never let any of the employees beat on it. The truck is in such great shape that I felt that I didn't need to completely disassemble the truck for restoration. I figure I can paint it OD and run it for another 10 years before I'll need to do the full frame off-resto like I did on my M715.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks