• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The stock muffler came off the A2 and a straight stack went on.

Carlo

I was tired of the lack of low end on my one of my A2's and I did not want to mess with the pump so I removed the muffler yesterday. The stock muffler was 2 kilos more than a new muffler for it was full of soot and rust.
To install the straight stack I had to use the stock elbow below but this uses a kind of flange. Hey that's ok I will cut off the old flange from the muffler BUT it's aluminumized steel and my stack is stainless steel. They don't weld well together.
View attachment 477685
So I found a bronze/ aluminum wire for my mig welder and made a new program for the welder ( I have a computerized Fronus welder from Austria). It worked!
Well I thought I'm ready to install now BUT if you use the same location of the stock muffler to install the stack it sticks out worse than the stock system.
So I removed the upper staff mount to try to get the stack more vertical.

View attachment 477686 View attachment 477689

I also reused the exhaust clamp from the old muffler and drilled the vertical mount.

View attachment 477690

Finished. It's almost straight/vertical now and I used the stock rain cap. Sound is nice and not so loud. Now I have low end grunt that was not there before. The difference is very notable. Plus the turbo noise is fantastic. It took me half a day and was worth it.

image.jpg
I also used the stock heat guard.

Carlo

Can you give a idea of the noise level increase in the cab? thanks.
I have the soft roof on this A2. You can hear there is more noise but it's a different noise plus I routed the noise up so it has nothing to reflect. The side exit hits walls and things but vertical has nothing to reflect the noise back to the cab.
I would say 15% more.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do you guys think that can help an NHC250?
It will help you incur a profound hearing loss.......ask me how I know.

The A2's with the turbo will be quieter than a 250 if you eliminate the muffler since the turbo acts somewhat as a muffler.

It is still going to be loud enough to get attention from the powers that be in some areas. Around here the logs trucks are so loud the police usually ignore military vehicles.

If you straight pipe anything be prepared to accept the consequences of your actions.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ask me how loud a straight piped non turbo 250 under load is ???

Carlo

Do you guys think that can help an NHC250?
I also have an A1 and I have thought of doing the same thing but such a big block as the 250 the noise would be out of this world. Yes it would benefit a free flow exhaust but not enough to support the noise. I have opened mufflers on non turbo motors and experienced more torque. I cut open one side and gutted the innards then re welded it closed. The noise was more deep but not offensive. I plan on doing this to my A1 this year.

glivdub03

I also have an A1 and I have thought of doing the same thing but such a big block as the 250 the noise would be out of this world. Yes it would benefit a free flow exhaust but not enough to support the noise. I have opened mufflers on non turbo motors and experienced more torque. I cut open one side and gutted the innards then re welded it closed. The noise was more deep but not offensive. I plan on doing this to my A1 this year.
when you gut the muffler let me know how it sounds and maybe put a DIY on it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks