• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The two golden lumps arrived.

MrMikey4026

Post your installation of them.
I don't think I want to listen to all of the experts telling me I am doing it wrong.
I have been doing this work for nearly 50 years, I have done many gear sets with the only failure being one time I replaced a set of 3:73 gears, only to find out they were mismarked. The were actually 4:10 and I did not count or do the math. I got to redo those for free.
I am just too old and cranky for that, and my videos suck.
I will be guiding Dave Anderson when we do his, he makes much better videos! Helicools helipad is his YouTube.

Ronmar

I don't think I want to listen to all of the experts telling me I am doing it wrong.
I have been doing this work for nearly 50 years, I have done many gear sets with the only failure being one time I replaced a set of 3:73 gears, only to find out they were mismarked. The were actually 4:10 and I did not count or do the math. I got to redo those for free.
I am just too old and cranky for that, and my videos suck.
I will be guiding Dave Anderson when we do his, he makes much better videos! Helicools helipad is his YouTube.
Just have him come video yours:)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey! I'm down in Portland and I have a 2008 A1R with a high-pinion rear axle. Would you be interested in installing 3.07 gears in it? For the front I can just get a third member so that's no problem but the rear..... I've done a few R&P setups on Dana 60's and GM corporate units, etc but nothing that requires 1100 ft/lbs on the pinion nut and this high pinion unit I'm not sure what the process will be like since I can't find pictures or discussion of anyone that's done it. I'm not even sure where to get the gears although I'm told the intermediate axle MRAP gears from the 6x6 can be used but require unknown modification. Someone mentioned that someone did it in Europe :rolleyes:

Just for the sake of when people ask me - what's the ring gear diameter? Hehe.

Rick

MrMikey4026

Hey! I'm down in Portland and I have a 2008 A1R with a high-pinion rear axle. Would you be interested in installing 3.07 gears in it? For the front I can just get a third member so that's no problem but the rear..... I've done a few R&P setups on Dana 60's and GM corporate units, etc but nothing that requires 1100 ft/lbs on the pinion nut and this high pinion unit I'm not sure what the process will be like since I can't find pictures or discussion of anyone that's done it. I'm not even sure where to get the gears although I'm told the intermediate axle MRAP gears from the 6x6 can be used but require unknown modification. Someone mentioned that someone did it in Europe :rolleyes:

Just for the sake of when people ask me - what's the ring gear diameter? Hehe.

Rick
I don't think it would be all that difficult. A good 1" tire gun will get the pinion nut off. If you have done any gears with a shimmed pinion cage, like a 14 bolt Chevy, you will do just fine. The ring gear is puny at 11", so not much bigger than an old Chevy which is 10.5!
Sorry, but at my age I am just taking care of my last few heavy projects before I get too old.
Congratulations on the high pinion, that should take care of the terrible drive line angles on the rear anyway!
Someone told me that the high pinion bolt pattern is different, it is reversed so it only mounts upside down. I have no first hand knowledge, maybe someone who does will comment?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the encouragement! I might give it a shot. I'm just not looking forward to how long it's going to take my truck off the road while I "figure it out". LoL.

Rick

MrMikey4026

Thanks for the encouragement! I might give it a shot. I'm just not looking forward to how long it's going to take my truck off the road while I "figure it out". LoL.

Rick
I understand, I am going to borrow the ones that Will Sands has swapped out on his truck. That way I can get them all ready to go without disabling my truck.
Just a thought, you might reach out to Alex Wilson about what is required to do your high pinion?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand, I am going to borrow the ones that Will Sands has swapped out on his truck. That way I can get them all ready to go without disabling my truck.
Just a thought, you might reach out to Alex Wilson about what is required to do your high pinion?
Alex Wilson? Do you have a link? I would love to discuss with someone that's done it or is familiar with the guts on these. They are really uncommon in the civilian side is what I'm finding out. Very similar to the intermediate 6x6 axle but without the element that locks the center to the rear axle and without the output entirely. And TM's for my truck are not yet public release :confused:

Rick

MrMikey4026

Alex Wilson? Do you have a link? I would love to discuss with someone that's done it or is familiar with the guts on these. They are really uncommon in the civilian side is what I'm finding out. Very similar to the intermediate 6x6 axle but without the element that locks the center to the rear axle and without the output entirely. And TM's for my truck are not yet public release :confused:

Rick
He is a member here on SS. Just search member.
He has an A1R, and has considerable experience with the FMTV.

coachgeo

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it would be all that difficult. A good 1" tire gun will get the pinion nut off. If you have done any gears with a shimmed pinion cage, like a 14 bolt Chevy, you will do just fine. The ring gear is puny at 11", so not much bigger than an old Chevy which is 10.5!
Sorry, but at my age I am just taking care of my last few heavy projects before I get too old.
Congratulations on the high pinion, that should take care of the terrible drive line angles on the rear anyway!
Someone told me that the high pinion bolt pattern is different, it is reversed so it only mounts upside down. I have no first hand knowledge, maybe someone who does will comment?
Hey Mike, I’m currently having a high pinion axle welded up to replace the rear on a 2007 A1r. My 2010 has it already so I have a good example to follow.
Also the bolt pattern is opposite on the intermediate (I haven’t checked the current 2010). You have to weld them in and redrill/tap new holes to use the axle housing with a “standard” chunk.

MrMikey4026

Hey Mike, I’m currently having a high pinion axle welded up to replace the rear on a 2007 A1r. My 2010 has it already so I have a good example to follow.
Also the bolt pattern is opposite on the intermediate (I haven’t checked the current 2010). You have to weld them in and redrill/tap new holes to use the axle housing with a “standard” chunk.
I think you were the one that told me that before. I would like to see the insides of the high pinion. What does it use for ring and pinion, I would assume it is different in some way?

coachgeo

confused on what you mean by this.

> are you using a typical non high pinion axle housing..... and filling holes so you can clock the unit where you should be for drive shaft alignment?
>>is the unit:
>>> a "modified Power Divider Box" from 6x6
----------or--------
>>> a high pinion box from a newer truck

> you are filling holes on the axle housing and re-drilling this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks