• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The unbreakable tire bead.

Just a little story for ya on my first time changing one of these tires.

after getting the tire off I unbolted the plate and tired it on the tire machine which didn't work so I thought to myself I would put 4 nuts back on the rim to keep it from flexing so the machine could break the bead and of course that didn't work either.

Decided I would run over half of the tire with the telehandler which has enough weight to really push down on the tire but no dice so I decided to put a diesel truck on the other half of the tire that's sure to work right? Nope still nothing at that point I decided maybe I should take the 4 nuts off and see if that helps. Yup came off easy after that. The next tire I was able to do on the machine and with bars/hammer doing it the right way taking the front plate off.

But it got me thinking even if your humvee had 0 psi in the tire when driving it's never coming off the bead.

Has anyone ever rolled a tire off the bead when driving with no air?? Only talking about the OEM setup with the run flat installed.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m not sure what you’re describing but these two piece rims must be separated and the tires peeled off each of the two halves. Some people use engine hoists. They tie the tire down to the hoist and jack the top half of the rim off. Then then flip and repeat.

royg

I’m not sure what you’re describing but these two piece rims must be separated and the tires peeled off each of the two halves. Some people use engine hoists. They tie the tire down to the hoist and jack the top half of the rim off. Then then flip and repeat.
Yes. engine hoist is my preferred method to free the tire from the wheel haflfs and also to extract the runflat from within the tire. I'm not sure I'm doing it right, but for sure anyone using a tire machine & not disassembling the wheel, is definitely doing it wrong.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even without the run flats you still have to split the wheels, you could of course break the bead but these wheels have no drop center to facilitate removing the tire.
I have always done it on a 5 gal oil can.

You have to separate the rim, you cannot "break" the bead.
ya learned that the hard way. also after getting it apart I figured out it was the runflat that was doubling as a bead lock.

fun learning experience but was more impressed on how the tire stayed on the rim with probably a total of 15000lbs of side pressure, I understand now that I was just sandwiching the runflat between the tire.

Hummer Guy

Just a little story for ya on my first time changing one of these tires.

after getting the tire off I unbolted the plate and tired it on the tire machine which didn't work so I thought to myself I would put 4 nuts back on the rim to keep it from flexing so the machine could break the bead and of course that didn't work either.

Decided I would run over half of the tire with the telehandler which has enough weight to really push down on the tire but no dice so I decided to put a diesel truck on the other half of the tire that's sure to work right? Nope still nothing at that point I decided maybe I should take the 4 nuts off and see if that helps. Yup came off easy after that. The next tire I was able to do on the machine and with bars/hammer doing it the right way taking the front plate off.

But it got me thinking even if your humvee had 0 psi in the tire when driving it's never coming off the bead.

Has anyone ever rolled a tire off the bead when driving with no air?? Only talking about the OEM setup with the run flat installed.
This is one of those things I wish I could've watched, should've got 2 trucks to pull against it and see would the tire come off while the wheel is unbolted

I’ve removed hundreds of RF’s…once you split the rim, cut the sidewall out with a sawzall….done, entire process for 4 tires is 10mins
I like it will probably do that next time.

now I need to play with tire pressure and see how low you can go before your sitting on the run flats. This would only be for extreme off roading not driving around town.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like it will probably do that next time.

now I need to play with tire pressure and see how low you can go before your sitting on the run flats. This would only be for extreme off roading not driving around town.
airing down and seeing when it hits the run flats while on a flat surface is going to be a lower pressure than when you are driving over obstacles. If you are planning on driving over obstacles, then I would say check pressure while the tire is sitting on a sharp corner of something that causes a lot of tire deflection. You really don't want to have the tire inside rubbing against the runflat repeatedly off roading according to one Marine I talked to about airing down.

In the operator's manual, the lowest tire pressure it gives for operating in off road terrain is 12psi.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks