• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thermostat for 6.2

humvmech

Are the thermostats in the crossover pipe specific to military hummers or can i use a normal chevy 6.2L thermostat? I have had some over heating issues on a recently rebuilt 6.2L.

911joeblow

They are normal but be careful that they don't sell you an off brand that cross references over. The proper ones are metal and rubber. NAPA is a good source.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be very careful taking this apart. Many people break the housing or strip the bolts and then you have problems. I have spare cross overs if you break it taking it apart.

humvmech

Test drive seems ok. The fan is coming on periodically as usual. I recently installed a new gauge and it is reading around 220 F, or the line right after the 200F mark (seemed a little high to me). When i take a reading with an infared temp gun on the engine it reads right around 185-200F at the upper hose, lower hose and thermostat. Im wondering if one of the temp sensors is reading funny.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine reads as you describe, but I suspect it's not as high, also like yours. I've been meaning to get a new sending unit.
BDGR

Action

Test drive seems ok. The fan is coming on periodically as usual. I recently installed a new gauge and it is reading around 220 F, or the line right after the 200F mark (seemed a little high to me). When i take a reading with an infared temp gun on the engine it reads right around 185-200F at the upper hose, lower hose and thermostat. Im wondering if one of the temp sensors is reading funny.
Wouldn't the outside of a rubber hose be a lower temp than the liquid inside it? Take the temp of the coolant in the overflow bottle.

humvmech

It think the rubber is a fairly decent conductor of tempeture once it is at operating temp but, thats just me. i haven't had a chance to run it again to check temps at the coolant bottle. It did run for quite a while the other day at idle and during a drive and it did not overheat like it was before. I am attributing most of this to the incorrect thermostat and old radiator cap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks