• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thermostat gasket, need it or RTV it

Gonzomatic

I'm putting a new radiator in the 1008 and trying to fix a leaky t stat housing. Of course the gasket ripped when I removed the housing and I'm wondering if there is a thickness or shim aspect to the gasket as well as to seal, or if I can just hank it up with RTV and move on with my life. The parts stores are closed of course. Tried to post a pic as well...

Thanks in advance to the MV community here.

Attachments

tamecrow

You can make a paper gasket like that using a cereal box or something similar. Just trace the new gasket using the housing as a template. Skim a light coat of RTV on the new gasket and you're good to go.

Keith_J

The one from NAPA was under four bits and change. Available and made from proper materials is peace of mind.

MarcusOReallyus

Alright, alright, I have installed my new ronzoni box gasket! I'll keep yas posted, cheers, Gonz

Ronzoni? :shock:

Oh, NO! :doh:

You can't use Ronzoni! Can't you read? It has to be a cereal box! Pasta boxes never work with RTV! You have to use spaghetti sauce when you use a pasta box!!! Bad things happen when you mix RTV with pasta boxes!

Now your engine is going to blow up, the world will shift on its axis, seas will rise hundreds of feet, and Justin Beiber will come to your house and sing to you! :shock:

Man, oh, man, you did a bad thing!

:mrgreen:

jw4x4

To easily make a gasket (whether it be of proper material or makeshift cardboard), just hold the t-stat housing upside down. Lay the material over it. Use the round end of a ball-pein hammer and tap around the edges. It cuts a perfect fit.

Gonzomatic

I don't think I could handle Bieber coming to my house. I'll get a real gasket if it still leaks.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to use RTV, my first gasket was a peel and stick dealie which was nice since it holds the t stat in place while you put the housing on. The threads in the manifold were very corroded and I felt like I was going to strip them out if I cranked too hard, hence the leak. Have since run a tap and die through all parts and now my Ronzoni gasket is nice and tight in there!

MarcusOReallyus

To easily make a gasket (whether it be of proper material or makeshift cardboard), just hold the t-stat housing upside down. Lay the material over it. Use the round end of a ball-pein hammer and tap around the edges. It cuts a perfect fit.

Yep, that's an old-timer's trick I learned from my Dad. Take it easy, though, you don't want to round off the edges of that housing.

Lizard Dog

Great idea to make a gasket this way thanks.

Take it easy, though, you don't want to round off the edges of that housing.
The hard plastic side of one these dual-head hammers works well and won't damage the housing.
IMG_3005.jpg

I had to do a couple times to make a good gasket but found that relief-cutting the inside kept the outer edge from tearing.
IMG_3003.jpg
To avoid doing this:
IMG_3006.jpg
Do this first:
IMG_3004.jpg

I guess I didn't get picture of the finished product, but it worked great. Thanks for the tip!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks