• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thermostat inside seal Question

Ford Mechanic

Hey ya'll I've got my truck all tore down fixing the exaust manifold issue and replacing the t-stat while I'm in there. Well I ran into a issue, I got a new seal for the inside of the t-stat housing, the round one. And was trying to install the new one with a socket and hammer and it got cocked sideways. During trying to remove the new seal to straighten it the lip seal came out of the seal body!

Anyone had issues with this? Can I just put it back in and reinstall it? And any install tips would be helpfull. Thanks! Mike

Ford Mechanic

Finally got a chance to pull the seal back out and it looks like I need a new one..... Mabey I installed it backwards? I installed it with the lip to the inside. And I just checked the TM and
Put seal (2) into thermostat housing (1) so that lip of seal faces outward​
toward thermostat (3).

So buy a new seal and try againaua

lawdog1623

ive replaced the thermostats in both of my trucks and i think i know what you're talking about. Im aware that theres a small what appears to be brass ring inside the housing that jackets the thermostat. if thats what you're talking about and its in any way damaged, GET A NEW ONE! That could be very troublesome in itsself. The only places im sure you can get it is tnj or red river parts and equipment. you are correct in your last post about the bevel and the orientation of the ring. The tm's suggest it goes in this way however it doesnt give you any hints about putting it in. Its very tight. I replaced mine and it went right in. The ease of installation puzzled me at the time. Although, i may now know why. I had just painted and baked the parts. When i put the seal in, the part was so hot that i couldnt handle it without having gloves on. This may or may not have had something to do with it. Did you by any chance check the thermostat to ensure it worked before you bought a new one. If you boil a bit of water in a pot and place the thermostat in it, you can easily tell if its functioning properly or not. This may save you some money next time.

Ford Mechanic

Heating the housing first is a good idea, I'll have to try that when I get my new one in. I've gotten all my parts from White Owl Equipment out of Kinston, NC. They've had every thing I've needed so far and typically I get them in 2 days being I'm so close to them. And no I never even checked the t-stat, I was still running it when I ordered it and I was figuring to fix everything I could while I was in the area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks