• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thermostat not opening.

parlusk

The other day I noticed that my thermostat was not opening, top hose was swollen and lots of pressure on the cooling system. I have yet to put a gauge in (its on the to do list but the dummy light was not on. Well I went to napa and picked up a 381-191 (hockey puck) thermostat. Well, I installed it today and drove the truck for probably 15 minutes, enough time for it to heat up and open. I popped the hood and yet again top hose was swollen. I thought the thermostat was bad, so I pulled it, went to the kitchen and dropped in a pot of boiling water. After a couple of seconds, the thermostat opened... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited:

parlusk

Running it without the thermostat and everything is fine, no swelling of the hoses etc. I am pretty sure my heads are fine. No water in the oil and no smoke. I checked my cap and it is working right now but that doesn't mean that it was working at the time. That is the only think i can figure. It took an act from God to get the cap off the first time it tried to remove it.

Keith_J

Caps are cheap. Yes, they can stick. I would not recommend running without a thermostat because of excessive flow that can cause turbulence and uneven cooling in the heads. Thermostats are proportional devices, they have a range of flow to keep coolant at a certain temperature. They can soft fail, meaning they don't open fully or don't open rapidly. The simple dunk it in a pot of boiling water test will not find sluggish ones. And they are cheap too.

spectre6000

If you think your thermostat isn't opening, your top hose should be all but empty. According to the GM 6.2L Diesel manual, water is pulled into the pump from the lower radiator hose and into the block.

Additionally, note the orientation of the thermostat.

I installed a manual water temp gauge in the volt meter hole. theres room to place it next to it also. cheap insurance and you will be able to see right where you are. I removed the stock sensor on the front side of the DS block. Took about 10 mins. stays right at 190 with 1k lbs of water in the bed.

brett