• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Therooster2001's M925A2 build thread

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably going to see Glen this weekend. I have a couple of items on the want list, and probably will grab a full dash if I can find one so I can have a stock of gauges. Anybody have something that they wish they would have had as a spare that I should pull?
Alternator and air compressor. Both items went out on my recovery.

therooster2001

I guess I eluded to a space problem, but didn't tell you how I solved it. Here's the deal, I was just thinking too far down the road. I hedged on buying anything because I wouldn't have the space to put it. I realized my problem was myself, if I bought the truck, then I'd be forced to figure it out, which I did. I ended up buying a storage garage.

Morale of the story is, don't over think it, and go big!

therooster2001

Alternator and air compressor. Both items went out on my recovery.
Thanks for the advice. I've read the TM on the air compressor removal, and don't have the truck close to check it out. Is it an easy removal? The TM eluded to removing the steering pump, and I've heard that the fit under the IP. and the belt is a challenge (might be mixing up the Deuce comments) Also it says to have coolant drained. I've got limited time in the yard, so need to prioritize, of course things at salvage are a bit easier, cutting hoses and such are a time saver..

JohnnyBM931A2

I guess I eluded to a space problem, but didn't tell you how I solved it. Here's the deal, I was just thinking too far down the road. I hedged on buying anything because I wouldn't have the space to put it. I realized my problem was myself, if I bought the truck, then I'd be forced to figure it out, which I did. I ended up buying a storage garage.

Morale of the story is, don't over think it, and go big!
LOL.. Nice. I've used that approach before. Usually works out in the end :)

therooster2001

Painted a rim to get the color and a feel for the paint. Did that with a brush, then did the side with the gun. Wow, easy to do. Behr premium plus.
Rim.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440830494.759511.jpg
Before
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440830631.930690.jpg
After
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440830660.163492.jpg
Marker lights, new ones
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440830713.780997.jpg

Using the Harbor Freight air gun, it works great. $10 is just silly not to buy 2.

therooster2001

Swapping out the hardtop
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440831182.568256.jpg

Had to take the battery box out as well. It looks like the batteries leaked and made a hole in a couple of spots. I had a replacement waiting I got from Glen months ago in anticipation. Now I might have to cut and weld in a piece of the floor. Probably use some POR-50 on it as well. Then touch up some paint and load the batteries back in. I need to get a pict of the new top.

therooster2001

Got some paint at Home Depot today, someone posted yesterday that it's $10 off gallons and $40 off 5 gallons this weekend. Hurry! I got some more Desert Tan and a gallon of green for the inside of the cab.

MWMULES last trip picts is tempting me to go BFR again. It's not his fault, he didn't know I had a weak spot for pulling, but it's 6 hours one way. I did score some Braums (they don't have it here in Colorado) last time and one of the best chicken places is in Hays, KS. Al's Chickenette, it's worth it to go for some awesome old school fried chicken on the way to Glen's. Life is too short for bad food. Check it out, totally worth it. Maybe I can organize a last hurrah to Glen's. I know it's not the end of times there, but I feel a disturbance in the force with M939's. KS is running dry. Have you seen the stuff coming out of there lately? I swear I just see them show up at Glen's weeks later. Still good parts, but mostly non runners.

And after 3 months of DMV hassle, I got Recreational Truck plates, with a non-commerical affidavit. SO, I got a break from the GVWR plates. Phew. Persistence pays off. Probably saved me $400 a year.

therooster2001

Swapping out the battery box. This truck sat at Riley for a bit and the parts I'm tackling shows it. The batteries most likely froze, split and created a mess. I also was taking off the side marker lights for replacement and they were rusted good. Got them off (one by force) and am going to replace them with fresh hardware and new ones from a member ($10) is cheap for new!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441548587.580350.jpg
Redid the other one from Glen with POR-15 to keep the rust under control.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441548605.439501.jpg

Next is the floor in the cab.

therooster2001

The neglect doesn't end, just because I wanted to hit some some of the metal around the seat and not get paint on it, I took off the seat. Yuck.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441634057.670705.jpg

It does give me the chance to redo the seat upholstery though, no telling what weather, bugs, or some sweaty solider buildup is on this thing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441634158.597380.jpg

Last edited:

therooster2001

The previous leaks caused me to reinstall every single bolt on the hardtop (even behind the seat) and then caulk the seams with silicone. I did POR-15 on the floor to keep that at bay as well. Just need to repaint the green on the battery box and reinstall today.

I do have another problem. The replacement top window is stuck shut. Don't know if it's paint or just pressure, but it's stuck good. I don't want to break the window, any ideas on how to get that open?

therooster2001

Primed the battery box and the seat, then hit them with some Behr today. I think they came out great. I also touched up the floor and cab a bit, man, just don't know when to stop,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441690647.123187.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441690660.412441.jpg

Now I have to reinstall. Haven't tackled the reupholstery job yet. Had to get another project moving for a friends wedding.

JohnnyBM931A2

Looks good man :) I need to do a little painting in my cab as well, mostly the door sills and nearby areas. However, if I have a day off today, I am going to get something else done first. I want to clean up the inside of both of my truck mounted toolboxes, then prime them with rust killing primer, and finally spray bedliner on all of the interior surfaces and door. I'm also going to find rubber mats or something else to line the bottoms with, to help protect the stuff that I am carrying from getting beaten up. Once that is done I can finally start to put all of my tools in the truck :) I bought a nice 3pc set of rubber coated padlocks for both of the toolboxes, as well as the steering wheel chain. My hope is that they won't scratch up the paint too bad as I drive this thing around.

As far as the upholstery goes, I know you can find NOS seat cushions on eBay from time to time. Not sure if it would be cheaper, but it's a thought.

Last edited:

therooster2001

Thanks! I did the rubber kitchen mats from Lowes in the bottom of my toolboxes. 1 mat does both boxes. That rubber smells is pretty powerful. Buy one, wash it and air it out, or something. Mine still knocks me out when I open the box. I've seen the seats, just think that blue on the seatback is out of place.

JohnnyBM931A2

Thanks! I did the rubber kitchen mats from Lowes in the bottom of my toolboxes. 1 mat does both boxes. That rubber smells is pretty powerful. Buy one, wash it and air it out, or something. Mine still knocks me out when I open the box. I've seen the seats, just think that blue on the seatback is out of place.
Hmm.. That's a good point about the rubber smell. I have a bunch of those exercise foam mat pieces (the one's that look like big gray puzzle pieces) laying around. They're probably half inch thick, and fairly soft. Maybe I will just cut up some of those and use them :)