• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

They took my baby!

rjinga

It was a sad moment this morning as I watched my M1009 go onto the back of a wreaker. It's nothing terminal; it's a broken starter motor bolt and a terrible racket when I tried to crank it (didn't try long and it didn't crank).

I did ask my mechanic if I could get on some kind of monthly repair plan. But hey, if that's what it take to keep :driver:

A family friend also came by in her brand new Jeep this morning. She said she likes to trail ride, so we were showing her videos and photos of our latest outings. "Hey, maybe we can go together?" she says. I'm thinking "Yeah right!" She'd just finished complaining about the red clay staining her plastic bumper and fender extensions, she has the standard mall terrain tires, and my 2wd Tundra has better ground clearance.

But, if she want to run with the Bio Beast, I'll let her try. 8)

91W350

Did you try using a small punch or chisel to turn the broken bolt out? Frequently you can just use a pointed object to remove the broken bolt. They are not bottomed out in the hole and they have lots of vibrations working on them. I have removed a few now and they seem to die from the load stress of being loose and the starter rocking on them rather than the common over toque snapping of a bolt. I seem to have a hard time keeping that front brace tight and the starter starts working on the block bolts. Hopefully your mechanic will be a honest player and the highest part of your bill will be the wrecker fees. Glen

rjinga

Did you try using a small punch or chisel to turn the broken bolt out? Hopefully your mechanic will be a honest player and the highest part of your bill will be the wrecker fees. Glen
No, I didn't try - too mechanically inclined for me. And yes, my mechanic is a knowledgeable and honest guy (but not dirt cheap either).

acesneights1

Snap ON makes reverse drill easy outs that work really good for these, ask me how I know. More importantly why did they break ?? Is the rear support bracket on the starter ? If not PUT IT BACK ON or next time you may have a broken block. It's no longer made but can easily be fabbed.

PAm1009

my 09 is in the shop now with this problem going on attempt #3 to fix the dropping and snapping of starter bolts... i get goosebumps when i turn the key:(

Bravo2Uniform

Snapping bolts fix

I had the snapping bolts problem as well. I FINALLY bought a $ 2.35 bracket from the local GM dealer and installed it. 12 months later, as a daily driver, and no problems.

That $ 2.35 bracket could have saved me literally thousands of dollars had I installed it day one on my M1009.

Also, ensure that they use Grade 8 bolts. One of the repair hacks used some kind of not grade 8 bolt and it just sheared right off. I ordered my bolts through, of all places, Amazon.com.

Last edited:

rjinga

I had the snapping bolts problem as well. I FINALLY bought a $ 2.35 bracket from the local GM dealer and installed it. 12 months later, as a daily driver, and no problems.

That $ 2.35 bracket could have saved me literally thousands of dollars had I installed it day one on my M1009.
I just left my mechanic a voice mail asking him to: check and see if my M1009 has the bracket; check and see if it should have the bracket, but doesn't.

Hey, where's Loganville? Just kidding; I live in Monroe.

SGT LongT

The bracket for the starter is that the one that is specific to the gear reduction starter or is this an updated bracket for our standard starters?

Bravo2Uniform

Brackets

The bracket for the starter is that the one that is specific to the gear reduction starter or is this an updated bracket for our standard starters?
I believe there are two different brackets, one for the old heavy starter and a different configuration for the gear reduction starter.

Bravo2Uniform

Good Mechanic

Hey, where's Loganville? Just kidding; I live in Monroe.
I know a great diesel mechanic that used to work on M1009s / M1008s when he was in the Army if you need one. He is just outside of Loganville. PM me for phone number.

rjinga

Talked w/ my mechanic today. No busted teeth on the bindex (sp?); no busted teeth on the flywheel; bracket on the way from a nearby Chevy parts dealer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks