• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

they're not lauging now

dougimes

We had an incredible storm rolll thru last week, put down a huge pine which took out the util lies on our road. The storm hit at dusk.

Fired up the (1967) PU-286, set the field voltage, normal. Switch on the pre-electronics era voltage regulator, normal. (still not exactly sure exactly how that works).

Tie in the house. 23 hours, and 7 gallons later, we shut it down when Duke got their powerlines back in order. Did we take it a little too far when we turned on all of the outdoor lighting and ran the air compressor?

The back story of course is when I unloaded the Generator after a spur of the moment purchase last year. My dear wife rolled her eyes and said "what is that?"

My lame explaination sounded a little like washington when they are justifying their own salary raises. I did say that someday, when Hammett Rd was as dark as a cave, there would be lights at 504 Hammett.

For a few grand hours, When we were cooking dinner that night on our electric range, with lights, and refrigerators and internet. I was a hero.

No reason to think the pu-286 will not perform as well next time, but it would probably be a good idea to have a back up generator......... what should I be looking for?

- I have a question also, the gen had 1120 hours when I got it. What is the lifespan of an gasoling generators from this era?

- When I start up, i get light smoke for a few minutes. I also get light smoke when loading more 30%. Oil consumption for the 24 hr run was maybe 8 oz. hard to say exactly because I am leaking little at the magneto mount.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Great use of surplus equipment....I just bought a diesel 10K a few weeks ago.

I am assuming you had a disconnect switch that kept your power from back feeding the grid.

If not you could be fined or held liable if someone working on the lines were to be killed or injured.

Safety first.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
1200hrs is 50 days of run time. Your genny is hardly broke in. I would search for a diesel mep002 or mep003. I have a gas genny and a diesel just in case.

Have you tried to run the genny loaded for a good couple hrs? It might just need to get warm and have the rings re-seal. (in reference to it smoking).

derf

A good idea to get a backup generator? You already have one. You mean a backup to the backup?
That tree would make terrible firewood. It might make a good bonfire but you don't want Pine burning in your fireplace.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With small engines and small oil pans, keeping the oil in good shape is #1. The TM might say to change it more often than you think. As far as turning on all the lights, it depends on if you think others will view that as an indication of who has valuable resources.

dougimes

For all who asked, and are reading this. Yes I have a disconnect means to switch the panel over to generator. Without it, you would backfeed the util, and neighbors etc. a very dangerous situation indeed.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say it, But I'm looking forward to the next power outage. I've been working on the mep-003 and house wiring. Just about ready now. Thanks for posting, got to let my family read this one.

robert c neth

Banned
if the switch is an automatic transfer switch your good to go ,if its a manual switch in a lot of states its not legal and it needs to include the ground wire.in our area they also have to be inspected.its great to have power though when the whole area is out.keep up the good work.

deuceaid

Banned
I am assuming you had a disconnect switch that kept your power from back feeding the grid.

If not you could be fined or held liable if someone working on the lines were to be killed or injured.

Safety first.

thats why they have a little loop that a padlock fits into,,,,,

the 2nd time was feeding the house, ( off a 300 watt inverter) and I got a call from my roommate saying edison claimled enery theft on our part,,, I told him,,, NO,,we have solar panels and an nverter...........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks