• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thickness of M101A2 lunette ring

Milbikes

Searched for this info, but couldn't find it. I have to bring home a M101A2 trailer. I just bought a pintle hitch for my receiver hitch. At Tractor supply, they had several different types. I bought the least expensive. It says it will handle a 2" to 3" I.D. ring with 1 1/4" to 1 5/8" diameter ring section (Thickness of ring). Will this handle the lunette ring on a M101A2 (With surge brake) trailer? I never got up close to one to measure.

The lunette ring will sit at 19" from the ground with my hitch. Will the trailer be within a safe level for towing? Thanks for any info.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes and yes (you should delete your other thread in the CUCV forum)
The lunette sits "about" 24" when level.

Milbikes

Thanks much for the info. I only double-posted because unexpectedly I have to head out in the AM and didn't want to be unprepared. H.

Wolf.Dose

Why this question? The answers are given in SAE J847 and SAE J849. The three inch tow eye is always 1.62 inch in ring thickness, the 2.36 inch tow eye is always in 1.5 inch ring thickness (copied from SAE J847).
Wolf

Milbikes

Why this question?

Before asking this question I searched for:

M101A2 specifications;
Lunette ring dimensions;
Lunette ring diameter.

None of these search queries turned up any of the information you mentioned. IF I had known to search for "SAE J847" I would have done so. I am a shop teacher, not a military supply officer, military mechanic, or even military. I had to head out in a matter of hours (Unexpectedly) so I need the info fast, and could not stay up all night searching.

It's not like I was asking "Duh....what is a trailer?"

As a teacher, I tell my students "there is no such thing as a stupid question unless you are being lazy, or trying to be a comedian".

I am neither.

strelnik

Why this question?

Before asking this question I searched for:

M101A2 specifications;
Lunette ring dimensions;
Lunette ring diameter.

None of these search queries turned up any of the information you mentioned. IF I had known to search for "SAE J847" I would have done so. I am a shop teacher, not a military supply officer, military mechanic, or even military. I had to head out in a matter of hours (Unexpectedly) so I need the info fast, and could not stay up all night searching.

It's not like I was asking "Duh....what is a trailer?"

As a teacher, I tell my students "there is no such thing as a stupid question unless you are being lazy, or trying to be a comedian".

I am neither.
It would be helpful if the knowledgeable people started to produce stickies or fact sheets somewhere to document info like this.

I belong to several mechanical sites and they have them in varying degrees of detail, depending on the needs of the users and the complexity of the situation.

As a new member of this forum, I could think of several stickies with similar info that would be useful to the group as a whole.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks