• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Things Every New CUCV Owner Should Do and Kn

MT4222

After seeing all of the "My first cucv" threads i have decided it would be beneficial to make this thread. These are some of the common problems, tips, and solutions that i have found. I would appreciate if everyone posts any ideas that they have too help new CUCV owners.

-Things I would Do
-Do the Doghead mod to the starter relay
-Examine all of the fusible links, check for black spots and melted sheathing
-Take of the ground wires by the headlights, clean with a wire brush, reassemble with dialectric grease
-If your fuel gauge isn't functioning properly i would drop your tank and clean the ground to the fuel sender
-Remove and check all glowplugs. Even if one is bad it can cause many problems. Swollen glowplugs are no fun to remove. If bad i reccomend replacing with AC Delco Ac60g's
-Remove all fuses, spray all fuse ports with electrical connector cleaner, reassemble with new high quality fuses and use dialectric grease.

-Things to Know
- The M1009 is the same as a 1984 k5 with a J code motor, the M1008 is the same as a 1984 k30 with a J code motor. This is helpfull when you need to order parts
-Whenever working on the electrical system disconnect the batteries
-The alternators are isolated ground so not all standard alternators will work.
-I would download the TM's to your computer so you have axcess to them all the time.
-Do not convert your CUCV to 12 volts. It will make majority of the info on here useless.
-If your generator lights are on while driving this most likely means that your alternators will need to be rebuilt. I reccomend the kits from CUCV Electric

As many people say on here, "If it's electrical clean it, if its rubber replace it."

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very good info, thanks.

I might also add, remove and clean the "spider" looking ground that is beside the e-brake lever in the cab. This is the ground for all of the instrumentation and a good place to start.

Also, inspect the front turn signal sockets. The grounding tab on the side of the socket seems to be a very weak point and is prone to breaking off. Even if it looks intact, it could still be cracked and causing a high resistance to the ground and will cause all sorts of funky signal and headlight issues.

Vhyle

Another thing to add - do the GP resistor bypass mod.

The CUCV utilizes a 24v system, with 12v glow plugs. The resistor reduces the 24v down to 12v, to feed the proper amount of voltage to the glow plugs. The problem is when one glow plug goes bad, it increases the voltage input to the remaining good glow plugs. This will then damage another glow plug, increasing the voltage even more to the remaining. It becomes a cascading effect, and will essentially destroy all of the glow plugs.

The GP resistor bypass mod prevents this.

MarcusOReallyus

I might also add, remove and clean the "spider" looking ground that is beside the e-brake lever in the cab. This is the ground for all of the instrumentation and a good place to start.

Also, inspect the front turn signal sockets. The grounding tab on the side of the socket seems to be a very weak point and is prone to breaking off. Even if it looks intact, it could still be cracked and causing a high resistance to the ground and will cause all sorts of funky signal and headlight issues.

+1.

Bad grounds will do amazing things, things that you didn't think were possible. They will make grown men cry, preachers swear, and drive PETA members to torture small puppies.

Another thing to know - visual inspection of wiring is not enough - you must use a meter or test light to verify continuity, preferably both. Meters can lie, and test lights don't tell the whole story.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought this was all in the wiki and what it was for.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, that's what a wiki or sticky is supposed to do.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, that's what a wiki or sticky is supposed to do.
Along with the FAQ and the couple of "glovebox" manuals other members have posted.

MT4222, thank you for starting this thread. The title is very usefull, but like DH said we have attempted to post all this info in the Wiki and FAQ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks