• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Things to know

scavind

I'm looking at the m1009-m1008 as a first vehicle. I know they don't have the best mileage but I wont be going anywhere far since you have to drive with an adult anyways lol. But what are some things to know about these vehicles before you purchase one of these.

91W350

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/48978-some-dumb-questions.html

We just went through a similar thread. My old M1008 would get very close to 20 mpg. This much lower miles and in much better condition M1008 that I have now runs 15 to 18 mpg. I just made a fairly long trip and we averaged around 17.

Some of the guys are saying they get mid 20s out of their M1009, that has not been the case for me. My M1009, the one I have, not the one I need to go get, runs a little better on mileage than my M1008, but not much. When we came back from Jefferson City with it and we were dogging along at M1008 speed, about 48 mph, it was up in the 20s. Since I have been running it 60-65 most of the time, it is not any better, or much better than my M1008. It sure is nice not to feel like you are a traffic hazard on the road though. Glen

cjkeeliii

My m1008 also gets around 17 mpg. The m1008's are geared low: 4:56. Don't expect to win any speed trials as 55 mph is about all you'll get--60 if you're late for school, work, etc. M1008's are loud and ride rough: that's what I like about them! IMHO stay away from any 12 volt conversions--the thing is going to drive you crazy enough with its incessant maintenance. Having said that: my m1008 is extremely reliable, with the most major repair a broken flywheel. The transmission separated from the engine because of vibration and broke some of the attaching bolts. Even with the center broken out of the flywheel, the truck still drove 15 miles to the shop.

!DON'T EVER USE ETHER!

I've used ether a couple of times , but only after unplugging the glow plugs! The last time I used it, I swore I'd never do it again because it creates an engine over-speed condition. Find a good alternator repair shop-you'll thank me later. Having said all of that, I would get in that truck and drive it anywhere. It's my daily driver and I trust it. The engines aren't strong, but they are reliable-and with a properly functioning glow plug system will start in almost any cold weather situation. Perform regular maintenance and the truck should last you a long time. Is that enough or do you need more?

scavind

How well do the axles hold up? Theres quite a number of potholes on the secondary roads in Staten Island (I live in that borough), and the DOT doesn't really handle them well from what I've seen and the roads can gt narrow so not much room to maneuver. Also the community I live in has many speed bumps as well.

91W350

With either truck you will learn to slow down for speed bumps and large potholes. To answer your question, they are much tougher than 95 percent of the vehicles going down those road snow. I doubt this will be an issue for you as you will soon learn it hurts you physically to hit a roadway obstruction with a stiffly sprung truck. I most cases, the M1008-1028-1010 axles are capable of taking more than their drivers care to put them through. The M1009 or Blazer if not as stiffly sprung or as strong, but definitely tougher than most vehicles.

scavind

Y. Does this truck type have a bad fuel system or something lol? If I decide to upgrade the truck like raising it or adding engine stuff like air filters, exhaust stacks maybe...Will the drive shafts handle that? Or is this trucks driveline powered to the max stock and wont take anything else unless upgraded as well?

91W350

The drivelines etc are much stronger than the diesel that somes in it. The fuel pumps on these are kind of weak, relatively speaking. They are also about a quarter of the price as a Cummins pump. They are simple too, nothing tough about working on the 6.2.... except maybe that lift pump...

emr

These are old half ton blazers. the lighter duty of the blazers that were sold, Now the axles in these trucks are better than the weak civy ones, And there are storys of some of these motors actually getting high miles on em, but the truth is they usually do not, It is a good truck to start out on and work on for sure. some of the bad facts... but true none the less, But I would get one if the price were right......