• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Things to look out for on a 94 M988A1?

skunze

Looking for recommendations i bought a 1994 M988A1 last year with 34,000 miles and finally got it licensed here in Nebraska. I am looking at doing some wheelin/rock crawling with it this summer and want to go to Colorado with it this fall. Are there things i need to look at replacing or fixing that are prone to break on these? Of course my main concern is going to Colorado and not being able to get parts if something breaks. Running it around here i haven really had any problems everything seems to be running good. Of course i dont plan on doing anything to crazy as i am not sure if i am going to put a roll cage on it or not. Also any recommendations on a winch, i have always bought warn and would like a synthetic rope version but not sure how many lb winch or style i should get

774928_6002_159_0001 (1).jpg

Wire Fox

Half-axles tend to be the weakest link out there, and unfortunately, you need to carry three of them to have spare for every possible wheel (FL, FR, Rear). You can keep those safe by not suddenly applying the brakes if you have a wheel start free-spinning, due to the breaks being on the half axle instead of the hub. Most of the engine and driveline stuff otherwise should be fairly easy to source. It's the typical GM 6.2/6.5L Detroit Diesel engine, 3L80/THM400 transmission. There's several other little things that can fail...but with the right PM, they shouldn't be an issue specifically from off-roading.

As for winches, the tried and true is the Milemarker hydraulic winches. They're factory equipment on winch-equipped HMMWVs. I believe the rating on those is 10,800 lbs, so if you want to stick with a Warn, you probably want to match that rating.

Last edited:

dhaumann69166

Half shafts are definitely the weak point. I was stuck in a big drift about a month ago and hit my brakes at the wrong time and took out the right front cv joint. I usually try to fix or rebuild stuff but there is LITERALLY ZERO places to buy parts to repair half shafts. I tried the route listed on flash off-road that says you can get parts from a Ford Explorer half shaft but the Ford is slightly bigger and doesn’t fit. You can get new half shafts for around $200 or less. Just have to remember that you can’t drive the Humvee like you would any other vehicle and you will be fine. One other thing to always have is a spare tire. Not every time shop keeps 37’s on the shelf and definitely don’t have 16.5” rim 37’s. Plenty of room under the back seats for a small tool kit also.

skunze

Is there any place better then others to get half shafts for those? So there is a specific front left and front right shaft to each side; rear are the same? Also on the Mile Marker winch does it have its own hydraulic pump and reservoir or do you have to set something like that up on the humvee.

dhaumann69166

The rear half shafts are the same on both sides. Front shafts are different lengths and neither the same as the ones on the rear. Right front half shaft is the longest and most expensive. I have read that a few people on here have tried the cheap non military ones and they didn’t hold up very good. I have found them online at a pretty decent price just be sure to read the description and make sure you are getting the right one. I have also seen whole sets for sale.
I don’t know for sure on the winch but I think it runs off the power steering pump. There are quite a few threads on here discussing the Milermarker. You could use a 12,000lbs Warn and be just fine.

snowtrac nome

The original m998's came with a warn planetary 8 k 24 volt electric winch, they later changed to the mile marker 2 speed hydraulic winch which runs off the power steering pump, and works incredably well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks