• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about adding a 12 volt alternater to my M923a2

6x6guy

I recently pulled th 12 volt crane from my m35 and sold the truck and reinstalled the crane on one of my m923a2. With the crane installed, I was pondering about installation of a 12 volt, 160 amp alternator- so what other than adding a second pulley from the existing generater ( welded to existing pulley ) and adding a
second belt ( V belt ) to the 12 volt alternator - and if any body has taken on this project with good results. :roll:

BrainP

why add an alternator? why not use a voltage reducer to power the 12volt side. i have even just wired 12volt accessories to the first battery in series on our 24volt equipment.

212sparky

The alternator gives a clean 12 volt source and don't have to worry about limitation of the converter. If you pull off one battery with out an equalizer, it causes an imbalance in the system over charging one battery and under charging the other battery.

Adrian A

Tm america does have a great set of brackets that makes it easy. I just ordered one and it is very simple. Cheap too.

74M35A2

I'm with BrainP, I run 12V off of either 2 battery sets which are in parallel. No issues.

Last edited:

6x6guy

The problem is the balance of the charging system to the batteries- with such a amperage load drain on the batteries on the one side- damage will occur to the batteries and the charging system.
In the past for simple in cab, 12 volt accessories ( low draw /amperage devices ) no problems were noted other than the additional replacement on the battery used for the 12 volt side, however with the higher amperage draw of the electric winch and drive motors another remedy was needed.
Upon locating a larger body Delco Remy alternator I had it rebuilt with a low RPM stator ( requires less RPM to engage
charging system) and higher amperage circuit (160 amps ) output- other wise a higher RPM of the motor would have to be utilized to charge the system at 14 volt- usually between 1100 and 1200 RPM with the lower stator about 800 RPM to charge the extra battery installed used for the 12 volt system -
The remedy was simple - detached the generator pulley and mig a 4 inch V pulley to it- reinstall the serpentine belt
and designed and install a bracket with tightening adjustment for the V belt- problem solved.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks