• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about building a deuce...

poppop

These guys are correct in their statements. I was once given a FREE peanut combine by a dealer. I thought WOW, a free picker, I can fix this thing up and have a nice machine. By the time I got it in condition to pick peanuts I realized the Dealer was a very smart man. He had sold several thousand dollars worth of parts and probably made more profit that way instead of selling the machine for scrap. It never was a very good machine and after pouring more money into it for several years I sold it to another farmer for a parts machine.

mcmullag

one of the elders speak

I was on this site everyday for a year and a half before I bought my first deuce at age 47, from bulldog_mack13 when he was living here in town. Great truck, no problems. Read on the site everyday and learn stuff. Go to college have fun, chase girls, get a large heavy MV later. I have owned about 21 different vehicles, none new, all needed maintenance. Learn your mechanical stuff on smaller vehicles. One of mine was 1972 MGB.
You gots lots of time for this stuff. 2cents

Attachments

usn21

New to SS

I am also looking at getting a deuce. Wanted to know preferences-winch or without? Whistler or Cummins? Definitely want the hardtop with heater as I live in NE Wisconsin. Got hooked on the deuce when I was stationed at MacDill. To "bob" or not?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just buy one from GL for 1K and up? Or don't you have that to start?

usn21

new to ss - deuce project

Thanks for the reply. Money really isn't my issue. LOL. I'm curious as to whether or not the whistler turbo or the Cummins is the way to go. And to winch or not to winch? Am I just better off getting w/o a winch and buying a Warn to mount on the bumper? I'd like to find a deuce that went through some sort of ESP or overhaul by the depot, that way I don't have to worry yet about the drivetrain components. I still need to find out if Wisconsin would make me have a lower front/rear bumper if I make a boobed deuce.

1978davidw

Am i missing something or was the origional post in this thread just kind of a dumb statment? I mean first off build one from what i think we all can conclude buying part by part isnt feasable for anyone no matter how much of a budget you got. The ones in the best shape that you buy you will still have work to do on them i mean these are 40 plus year old vehicles. Obviously some people dont put much thought into stuff. My opinion buy one off GL or an individual. You are still going to have plenty of work to do and like its already been said if you wanna do a restore at that point you can go through piece by piece.

usn21

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was an Extended Service Program in which M35A2's were taken into a depot and had Cummins engines and Allison trannies put in along with the CTIS , which were then call M35A3's? My question is whether or not one engine was better on maintenance, cost of repairs, parts availablity, etc. I like the idea of the multi-fuel engine (the whistler turbo) in case of an emergency where diesel may not be readily available.

usn21

Whistler or cummins

Still didn't get an answer one way or the other. Which engine pkg is more reliable, cheaper to maintain, etc? Also, were any Whistler turbo engines coupled to the Allison automatic tranny?

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Do some quick reserch on SS and Olive Drab.com . You will learn what engines, trannys and such are in what trucks. Its easier for us to give you ansewers but wouldnt it be good to look them up?

They never had multifuels hook to Allisons from the Military, and a turbo is your choice. They have C and D turbos. The C is the whistler and the D doesnt make as high of a noise. They both work fine, its up to the owner to his liking of the noise or not. And the only come on the Multifuel engines backed with the manual tranny. But they have more than one turbo on a Multifuel M35A2 truck , so you pick from the C or D turbos with the Multifuel with the 5 speed manual tranny.

The ESP program trucks (M35A3)have the Allison Tranny with the 3116 Cat ,Diesel only. Ive NEVER had a problem with either engine but if you know anyting about manufactures, CAT parts arent cheap if they do brake and neither is a Allison part.

Like I said SS forum is fulll of info on both trucks. But ask away if you cant find it. -Jay

Last edited:

usn21

Thanks for the input Jay. Being as my background is Electrical/electronics, I thought it better to ask the "motor pool" people. You can find anything you want on the net, but not necessarily from sources you can trust your back to. :not worthy:

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Glad to help, most of what you read here or all from the right guys you can trust , same with Olive Drab. I never was a mech. Im Combat Arms. I read and learn from guys what I can. Your good by being on the SS forum , Jay