• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about building a mold for a turret cover ?

1951M1078

Being a boat guy I'm thinking about building a turret cover. It will be a fiberglass system with a foam core .

I have two ways to go. One is mold-less or build a mold. Only need a mold to do more than one.

If you could get a turret cover made of fiberglass,unpainted ,would you pay $250 + shipping ? It could go UPS or FedX .

Thanks, Randy

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think it would be easier to cut round piece of 1/4 sheet aluminum. Cheaper to make. Shipping sucks on them due to length the ground shippers have big up charges even though it's only a 2 inch thick box it's 47 inches by 47 inches.

1951M1078

Looks like I will make a mold-less for my truck and then I will post photos.

I know Will. But $800+ is to high for a real / take-off for me.

May even make one for a German M3 gun mount ? Then I can mount a M60 or my 1919a4 ?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The real ones are expensive because they are scarce and in demand. Someone with a plasma table could knock them out cheap. 1/4 aluminum or even steel would work just fine.

Duckworthe

$800.00 ! Holy cow, maybe I will take mine off and sell it and just make my own also! Like selling blood or Kidney. Its just a big hole plug! LMAO

zanther

You could maybe take a different route, make a CAD of the mold and sell the CAD file for folks to make their own. It'd pay for some of your costs developing it but keep you out of the shipping game.

You could even break the CAD into parts small enough to print on a 3d printer. Most folks would only use it one time so it'd probably be worth to have it commercially one-off printed at any of the companies now offering that service. by "worth it" , I mean not having to buy a 3d printer, learn to use it, calibrate , buy filament etc.

DanM7890

I needed one for my LMTV and had a local shop make a template in cardboard then got one cut out in one piece aluminum and had it spray canned. All in was $120.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could maybe take a different route, make a CAD of the mold and sell the CAD file for folks to make their own. It'd pay for some of your costs developing it but keep you out of the shipping game.
You could even break the CAD into parts small enough to print on a 3d printer. Most folks would only use it one time so it'd probably be worth to have it commercially one-off printed at any of the companies now offering that service. by "worth it" , I mean not having to buy a 3d printer, learn to use it, calibrate , buy filament etc.
I think that's overkill. It's just a big circle with a bolt circle. Anyone that can do CAD should be able to make that in about 5 minutes (the measuring would take longer than drawing it).

Also, 3D printing isn't strong enough for this kind of stuff, and is typically porous (without further finishing). You'd be better off making it out of just about anything other than 3D printing (e.g. plywood, sheets of aluminum or steel, etc.).

All that said, did you guys see the post of the person who used a 1/2" thick sheet of smoked acrylic? LMTV SUNROOF!

Quido

With a CAD drawing you could make it out of anything with a waterjet or laser. I would stay away from anything 3D printed just for the amount of time and money it would take. Measuring would take longer than drawing. I use CAD all the time in my other hobby and would offer my services, I don't have an LMTV tho. 😜

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1951M1078

Thanks for the CAD offers. I've been working in Turbo CAD, for sometime now. But don't have a CAD router table and I'm not sure it would speed things up ?
For now I will stick with the old ways and prototype for their.

I did order a M3 mount. Going to be in some trouble for that with the Wife, for some time !

My idea is to make a general cover. (closed) Then maybe with a sky light / vent ? And then the M3 mount with some ability for a canvas cover. No Gun ? Just to be able to keep out the rain after a parade.
I will build it so it cane come off with out much work. Will need to think of some kind of gasket ?

When the gun mount was removed from my truck some of the mounting bolts broke.(doesn't the Army have anti-seize ?) And they bent the roof taking it off. Will need to get that fixed first.

I built a gun mount for my M151 and would like something like it for my truck.

DSC04948.jpg

This time it will be a single .

Quido

Thanks for the CAD offers. I've been working in Turbo CAD, for sometime now. But don't have a CAD router table and I'm not sure it would speed things up ?
For now I will stick with the old ways and prototype for their.

I did order a M3 mount. Going to be in some trouble for that with the Wife, for some time !

My idea is to make a general cover. (closed) Then maybe with a sky light / vent ? And then the M3 mount with some ability for a canvas cover. No Gun ? Just to be able to keep out the rain after a parade.
I will build it so it cane come off with out much work. Will need to think of some kind of gasket ?

When the gun mount was removed from my truck some of the mounting bolts broke.(doesn't the Army have anti-seize ?) And they bent the roof taking it off. Will need to get that fixed first.

I built a gun mount for my M151 and would like something like it for my truck.

View attachment 662624

This time it will be a single .
I outsource all of my stuff. Usually use a waterjet especially for multiples. You can stack several sheets and make one cut with a waterjet. Much cheaper that way. I've seen lots of people on here that seem ro have CAD experience, so plenty of help if you change your mind. BTW the sunroof option sounds cool.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks