• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about buying a CUCV

mvfd70

I've been roaming around on this site for a while tonite. I've been wanting to buy a M1008 or M1028 ever since I saw one on ebay a while back. I've looked at the GL site and found some I'm watching. Problem is I'm in Southern Illinois and would have a hard time going to MD or PA to inspect them. What are the chances that I'd buy one and then get stuck with a 600 pound paper weight?

Crash_AF

Pretty slim to none since a CUCV weighs more than 600 lbs... LOL

In all honesty, it's a pig in a poke deal unless you (or someone else) can go look at it. There is no telling whether or not it will run, however, the law of averages would lean you towards getting one needing only minor repair if it APPEARS complete in the pictures.

Later,
Joe

hobie237

No way in hell I'd plunk down money for a vehicle that I couldn't test drive/inspect/etc. beforehand, ESPECIALLY with the GL "fill out this form and we'll send you a title when we feel like it" game.

Just look into buying a truck secondhand, from a private seller. They're not exactly uncommon vehicles.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wrong CUCV will make about nine 600lb paper weights but, if you wait, some are likely to show up for auction in Missouri, Ohio, or Indiana. Hopefully you'll be able to preview those. It is a crap shoot but there are some real nice ones out there. Good luck!

maritimer

well like it was suggested if you cant get someone to preview the truck on the auction it may be better to buy a private truck as your likely to have a better chance of getting on needing little to no repairs.

ii wish i had of been able to find one of the ambulance cucv's when i bought my m1009 as it would have made an excellent camper remodel

jaylsworth

I would look for one from the Dakota's, Montana, Wyoming, or some other western states because they rarely if ever use salt on the roads that I know of, and if your looking to actually drive it everyday like I do, look for one that has been regeared or has an overdrive installed.

colomil

there are some clean running m1009s at ft carson,CO and some at ft riley, KS. I did see a nice m1028 at ft riley. Plan on spending $2000+ for that one.

Martin T.

I am also looking for a good M1008 or M1028 to use as a daily driver. I have been looking for awhile now with no luck. most of the ones i have looked at have all been private sellers or recent GL auction winners trying to make a dollar have had mechanical problems, missing parts, full of cancer, asking to much or all of the above. most of the auction on GL are 4,5 or 6 hrs away if not more. Good luck with your quest.

ABN173

I am also looking for a good M1008 or M1028 to use as a daily driver. I have been looking for awhile now with no luck. most of the ones i have looked at have all been private sellers or recent GL auction winners trying to make a dollar have had mechanical problems, missing parts, full of cancer, asking to much or all of the above. most of the auction on GL are 4,5 or 6 hrs away if not more. Good luck with your quest.
Only 4-6 hours away, count yourself lucky and go ahead and buy. I bought one from a private vender and it runs well enough, sure there are some problems that come up but hey what do you expect from a military vehicle that is 20+ years old? I can tell from the sand CARC paint that shows through that mine probably saw a deployment or two. Oh also understand that back when CUCV's were in use and even as they were being phased out it was common practice to rob parts from a broken one to keep a running one going. When your looking at GL auction photos try to pay attention to bumper numbers, if it is say a #5, 6, 7 vehicle odds are it was kept up better than the rest ( 5= XO, 6= Commander, and 7 is the 1sg or CSM's vehicle, (at least in the army it works like that)
I don't regret buying mine (a HQ 7 veh), and good luck in finding one!

Dale
FT Benning, GA

Attachments

Martin T.

I do not expect to find on in show room or mint condition. I also do not want to spend 3500.00 to 5500.00 on one that is in the condition I posted earlier. I have looked at a couple truck locally and most of them are right out of the GL auction and do not even have the SF97 yet and are already being sold for a quick profit. Most of them the bodies and the interiors are beat up pretty bad, there missing windows or the 4x4 is not working properly. I do not know about you but I have a hard time paying that much money for that kind of condition. I understand they are 20 plus years old and will have there problems. I just want a good truck at a good price. Something I can drive on a regular basis.

SDF Troop

I just got an M1009 out of GL here in Alabama. I agree that it's not a very good idea to bid on one without checking it out first. I checked mine out and it started right up. I was able to drive it home. Of course I'm still waiting for the SF 97 so that I can tag and title it. It was used by the 128th MP Company of the ALNG. It's tactical marks show it as vehicle OP-1. Does anyone know what that means?

ABN173

SDF Troop<

You have me at a loss on that one, may want to try and contact the unit it once belonged to.
OP 1, :? hmmm, anyway you have any pics yet?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No a buddy just down the road. I think he will come down a little on the price too. New paint and weatherstrip, runs great.

M35 Owner Wannabe

Well i think youll find what your looking for, and a quick question does anybody know a good place to look for nice M35A2C's in Massachusetts (god i hate spelling that name:roll:)

Im 14 but looking into buying one for my first Vehicle:oops:

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1009 is mind it does run great and it has all new door rubber seals if anybody would like a nice M1009 pm me . Or if close come check it out I would also trade for other miliarty Green.