• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about buying a deuce

LomitaBob

Hi, I have been a lurker here for a while. After 10 or so years of drooling I am finally thinking about getting a deuce. I am just wondering how hard it is to find body parts and just parts in general. I am in So Cal

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoulda bought one 5 years ago.

They are scarce(from surplus) and prices have increased quite a bit.

Lots of parts out there, but eveyone knows they are getting scarce too, so prices are up too.

mcmullag

Maybe try to find a MV club or an owner in your area and look at their's and do a walk around. You can probably find one on Craigslist or Ebay from a private owner. I suggest starting with a deuce, plenty of parts out there. Saturn Surplus, Memphis Equipment, Boyce Equipment, Erik's surplus......etc..........

Iski

I had the same reservations, won an auction (Deuce #1), then purchased a second all in the last couple of weeks. When parts become too scarce and expensive, someone will start making replacements or upgrades. I just hope that the price of steel does not go to the point where they end up in scrap yards.

Iggy

welldigger

I had the same reservations, won an auction (Deuce #1), then purchased a second all in the last couple of weeks. When parts become too scarce and expensive, someone will start making replacements or upgrades. I just hope that the price of steel does not go to the point where they end up in scrap yards.

Iggy
Yes because the Asian made parts we are already dealing with are just fantastic....tho I guess that's better than no parts at all.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There's a good word document here somewhere (I have a new laptop and don't have it yet) called "So you want to buy a deuce"-if someone can post it up, that'd be swell.

Deuces are drying up (dried up) from GL (and the few that are left are overpriced), so more or less, you'll be buying from a private owner. Some are hardcore collectors who take care of them, some are just people who want something to bomb through the mud and some are people like me who service them and resell them.

You need to meet a few local people who have one and talk to them and let them show you around the trucks and show you what you need to look for.

Parts are still pretty common, although probably less so on the West Coast.

Sheetmetal is reasonably easy to come by, but you have to find it locally or the shipping will kill you. A $100 fender becomes a $300 fender with shipping.

Buy the best truck (in terms of condition) that you can afford.

JamesSummerville

I just got mine this year and I love it! If it ever stops raining I might get some rust grinded and zinc prepped. Looking for 395/85r20 tires close so to avoid big shipping bill.

You didn't get one yet? What are you waiting for!

LomitaBob

Well I operate on a less then beer budget. I have a 2 year old, a wife that got injured at work and has been out on disability for 3 years and we have taken in my wife's drug addict sister's daughters. So with the 3 kids its hard to find extra cash for "daddy toys". I have an old vw dunebuggy that we seldom if ever use. I am working a trade for the deuce. The truck looks a little rough. It looks to be missing the grille and tailgate. But the guy says it runs good. He is an hour and a half away from me so I have not had the time to get out there to look at it in person

welldigger

Not trying to discourage you in any way, but be aware maintenance and repairs on these trucks can add up quick. With that being said, I love my deuce. There's always something I'm monkeying with on my truck. Not that its unreliable. Fixing and modifying things is my therapy. I can't leave anything alone.

bigginstactical

Not to rain on your parade or anything but it probably isn't the best vehicle for your current situation. Sounds like you have a ton going on..... Obviously you need to have some fun in your life but at what cost? If I was in your position I would be selling everything to get ahead... Thats just my opinion though. I love my deuce and recommend everyone having one if they are capable of doing so. Best wishes. my 2centsfor what its worth....which isnt much haha!

Diecorpse

Best thing you can do is to stay positive, keep your burning desire for a deuce, don't worry about the "how" and it will come to you when the time is right. Don't give up, you'll find and get what you want. Just keep in mind, all trucks conditions vary, and the level of repair and maintenance will vary as well. Wish you luck!!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A number of deuces showed up a few weeks ago on GL and GSA, so they are still available at auction, but as Doghead said, the prices are 3-5X what they were. The following recommendations still stand. I've had similar issues with the M931s and M923s I've bought lately, but at least the brakes usually work on the 5-tons (as long as the axle seals don't leak oil onto the brakes).

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?38344-So-you-want-to-buy-a-cheap-truck-from-GL

6x6guy

The only problem that I can forsee that most of us been through-
that you can't stop at owning only one- so many styles and colors to choose from, and then all the accessorys and add ons
the new friends you will aquire, the wife and or girl friend who will feel neglected because you spend all that extra time on your truck. lol :roll:

dutchguy

I would say that if you don't have $200-$300 a month that you COULD spend on your Deuce, you should stay away for now. That is, unless you don't mind watching it sit and rust for a few months while you look for an injector pump, a starter, or a "value-priced" transfer case. Money goes in large chunks with these things. I burn pump diesel, and add lubricity additive to it. I try to buy fuel in 20 gallon batches, that's about $85. The previous owner of my truck burned waste oil, but from what I can tell, did not centrifuge it, or filter it much. He said it was free. I spent a fair amount of time and money on primary and secondary filters, fuel lines, manifold flame heater filter, flame heater nozzle, and fuel injectors to get it straightened out.That said, nothing beats going for ice cream in the Camo Convertible.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Five years ago I was buying deuces for 1000 bucks and driving them home. Now you will pay almost as much for a deuce as you will for a nice 900 series truck. It's the law of supply and demand. I still have my deuce tractor (M275) but unless one just fell into my lap I prob won't get another. I would like to have another "bob deuce" but since I don't have a shop or place to do fab work I'll prob stay with the M927. Good luck on your search. BTW......you do know you need a Commercial Drivers License to drive a deuce in CA...right?

LomitaBob

Yes I know about the CDL but I have a class A. Unfortunately it looks like the trade I had lined up isn't goin to work out. So I guess for now I will keep looking.

At first I was in live with the bobbed duce's but now the regular deuce has really grown on me. I also would like to find an M37. I think they look like a mini bobber

Dipstick

Drive one. They are slow. They are crude. They shake and rattle a lot. Did I mention loud? Zero creature comforts. However, when you drive a deuce it will almost always result in a wide smile on your face. 100% truck. And you'll always have a legion of really cool SS folks willing to help you out.

Dipstick

Not trying to discourage you in any way, but be aware maintenance and repairs on these trucks can add up quick. With that being said, I love my deuce. There's always something I'm monkeying with on my truck. Not that its unreliable. Fixing and modifying things is my therapy. I can't leave anything alone.
Amen brother!