• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking about buying this Deuce

Brian H.

This truck is a recent purchase from GL in Columbia SC, the truck is complete, drivable, has brakes and pretty much comes with EVERYTHING. The person selling it is in the Air Force and has been informed that he may be transferred, hence the reason for selling it. SF97 has not come back for this truck yet. Paint and body is excellent, when he says it has no rust, he means it. The body is immaculate except for some paint peeling in spots, but has been sprayed over in those spots. The hood needs paint too, but it has not rusted. Everything works, Air shift, wipers, new Canvas roof. I'm looking at maybe buying it, but my money may not come through in time.

I sat in the truck and attempted to drive it, but I am wayy too big for the steering wheel, something will have to be done about it. Whether that is shortening the steering shaft by 2" or so, or getting a smaller steering wheel, I don't know just yet, but it will have to be modified.

Let me know your thoughts on this truck please guys.

Thanks, Brian

1967 M35A2 Deuce and a half

HeadWizard

Looks like a very nice truck. You need to seriously think about the steering wheel / steering shaft issue. Smaller wheels can be had from 5-ton trucks, but will make your steering effort somewhat more difficult. As to shortening the steering shaft, I'll defer to those more experienced, but don't remember hearing of it being done.

Brian H.

That's the reaction I was hoping I'd get about it. I have a good feeling about the truck's condition, granted, this is the first one I have looked at. NEW rubber with the nubblies still present on the sides. We started it and it did not puff any smoke at all. It's got an injector that's not doing right when it's first started, but that's an easy fix.

It has NIB tools in the driver's side compartment as well, Jack, etc... from what I understand. Now, the question is, can I get the money up in time.

If I could get an experienced Deuce guy in the area to go with me to look at it again that would be great, I'll buy your lunch and drive you out there.

I am actually (in the future) in the market for 2 Deuces, one to keep all original, and the other to Mod out by Bobbing, etc...

The one thing about this truck is, it has the LDT with the D turbo, I was hoping for an LDS, but this thing is nice enough... that I think I might have to just get it.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it is definetly a nice truck it seems a while back there was a thread on shortening the steering column . A quick search of shortening steering colunm brought up 5 results but i don't know how to link them in thread . Member jatonka has done it .

Last edited:

number9

It looks nice with that fresh paint job, but the price is too high IMO and it's got 72,000 miles on it? I got mine off GL for less than half that price and it had 17,000 miles on it, rebuilt in 1990 and it's got a hard top, heater and racks / cover.

I think you could find a lower mileage, recent rebuild truck for far less, even with a winch if you are patient and look around.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree about that one being pricey. Of course, if you buy one somewhere else, there are transportation charges to consider. I have a nice 55 Stude with new hood, cargo bed, bumper, tires, cab, single coat of paint, and fresh diesel motor for less money.

kc5mzd

I would see what you can get together and make them a cash offer. If he is transfered he may be eager to sell. He is making money on the deal but I don't know how much he put into it after he bought it. Usually the hardest part is getting the title.
I am waiting for several SF97s from GL myself.
Be sure you get the TITLE not just a SF97. Many states will not allow you to title a previously government owned vehicle unless the SF97 is in your name! GL won't issue a SF97 to anyone but the original buyer.

Brian H.

I probably should get one with a winch because I was thinking of using it as a Recovery vehicle on occasion, take it out on the "powerline" which is a trail that runs between two substations in this area, about 20 miles worth of hills, dips, mud bogs, etc.. Although, I am super attracted to this thing for some reason. I guess it's the first time buyer syndrome kicking in!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks