• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of getting a m880 any thoughts??

ryan77

Ive had several cucv's i just sold my cutlass! I need a pickup i figured a m880! Any thoughts or sugestions?

FrankUSMC

When we had them in the Marines, we complained about the gas maleage, and we did even have to pay for the gas! Full time four wheel drive, and to me, just felt under powered with the 318.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bad is they have full time four wheel drive and it is not that easy to put locking hubs on it. Other than that it is basically a dodge pickup
Bad? Personally I like that part!

How hard is it to swap the hubs?
Simple swap of parts just not cost effective as the transfercase would also need a kit installed or a different t case..
There is a 1mpg difference.

beyond the hubs:
they ain't no CUCV.
The M880 is basically a W200 (think 2500) with an 8,000lb gvw
Any parts store or garage can deal with them.
Most of the ones I've had got 10mpg including my M884, my current M880 gets 12 mpg!

goodbrewing

I did the conversion years ago in my M886. I didn't do it for fuel economy. I get 10-11 MPG unless I am towing then it drops to about 9. I did the swap because I drive highway allot usually at speeds around or above 70 mph and it was hard on the front driveshaft.
I just bought a newer Dana 44 with locking hubs at a salvage yard and swapped everything from the U-joints out. I put new parts where I thought I needed to and used my old brake calipers so I didn't even need to bleed the brakes. I used the Milemarker kit to convert the transfer case and after many thousands of miles all are still working great. I just wish the body wasn't rusting out.
They are tough trucks that will take the abuse and parts are easy to find so go get 1 and post some pics.

lacoda56

I have an M880 and an M882, basically the same thing. The only problem I've had with either truck is the ignition ecu. Just can't seem to get one to last more than a few months. Have to carry a spare just to make sure I'll get where I'm headed! I was four wheelin' when full time 4wd was new and I wouldn't have it any other way. I didn't buy the truck for fuel economy. You want economy you're gonna have to get a honda civic!

ryan77

I dont care about the fuel economy i just want a truck i can go over 50 in a have a conversation and not rattle my teeth fillings out when im idling!!!

lacoda56

M880 is your truck! As long as you keep in mind that it's over 35 years old and it's going to need tlc, it's way better than the GM M1008 POS! The only good memory I have of the 1008 is the tailights actually working as it went out the driveway after I sold it. NEVER AGAIN!

Last edited:

FtSill69

My M880 is now a terrific 10mpg Iowa farm truck. Its simple and easy to work on. Most chronic problems that I have encountered are shared by other 40 year old pickups, except these on mine are inexpensive to fix if you have the time, experience, tools, and patience.

Fuel tank, vents and lines should be removed and refurbished. Mine had about a gallon of water and some other unidentified liquid or tar that needed cleaning; the metal vent system was dissolving into rusty pieces that fell into the tank. This rusty tar had taken out fuel pumps before I got it.

The wiring harness had had several patches that needed to be cut out and repaired. The two most common wiring glitches in the M880 is well documented by others in this forum. 1) The
ammeter needs to be bypassed and 2) firewall bulkhead plugs should be carefully checked and patched through if necessary.

Condition of your prospect is everything. I have seen the bodies and sheet metal of some in much better shape than mine was. Good Luck.

The M880 is a sturdy truck and not complicated to work on at all. It's basically a Dodge Power Wagon W200. The full time four wheel drive is not a problem (at least it isn't for me) and the upgrade of power steering is welcome too. That said, you're going to be disappointed with the gas mileage. I've only managed to get about 12 mpg at 50 mph. But it gets me where I want to go.

Wiring issues are known on these trucks. I had to have my wiring system gone through to find out why the lights weren't working properly. Bulkhead cxonnectors and grounds should be checked and double-checked. The electronic igniton ECM is said to be trouble on these trucks but I haven't had any trouble yet (knock wood).

I would say get one. They beat the CUCVs (Chevys) hands down with trheir troublesome glow plugs that go bad, cards that fry for no reason, etc.

ryan77

I ended up buying a m1008 of a member on here! Im going to throw a overdrive trans in it. I looked for a decent m880 but they were almost the same price as the m1008 i bought! Maybe i will get one in the future. Thanks for all the input though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks