• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking of modifying a deuce tanker to a septic truck..Thoughts?

Sevensteps

Let me say that my uncle did that for 45 years and sold his septic cleaning business several years ago in Maryland...He knows alot about the business end of this, but not so much about these military trucks.

I have access to a older deuce water tender. I think it's actually a converted military deuce fuel tanker.

At any rate, I have a full time job, but was thinking of starting a part time business pumping septic tanks using this deuce as a base truck. I could go over the truck mechanically and make sure it's dependable. Then I could fabricate a vacuum pump from either a rear mounted 20HP Honda or make a Lely work from the existing military PTO.

I was thinking was all I would really need to add was an air-assist steering to make the truck driveable.

I would only be doing this part-time and weekends, and my total travel area would be about 30 miles, so the slower speed wouldn't be a problem. I am just not going to invest $10-20K in a nice, newer air conditioned truck for a weekend business, thus the idea to use a military tanker as a base truck. The best I can figure, I would have maybe $5K in the entire truck with a new Maaco paint, (the truck is already light green).

Would the military tank be appropriate for this much vacuum?

Am I being realistic here? I can get plenty of business advice from my uncle, but he wouldn't know much about these trucks.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Sevensteps

I think that's the real question here.

How many in-Hg of vacuum are you talking?
After a qualified PM from a very knowledgeable member, I was informed that the military tank will implode almost immediately and is not suitable for the extreme poundages of vacuum that is produced by septic vacuum pumps.

Parker2

All the septice tank trucks that I have seen are large. I would put a tank on a 5 ton not a Duece.
And yeh you can crush a water tank with vacuum. They have to be vented or the pump can crush them like a soda can. I saw this happen with a large semi truck tanker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks