• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thinking Of Purchasing M923 In Maine

Haoleb

SO first post here, I have browsed the forums on and off for years now without any regularity. But... Now I am getting the itch for a truck.

Backstory here is I have a Jeep TJ and an XJ. I need to get a truck now that I own a home. Want to be able to go to the lumber yard, pickup pallets of wood pellets... etc... Here in Maine the average pickup is around 10k for something even partially decent and when I see what I can get for much less in an MV it seems like a waste to buy a standard civilian truck. And well I am a prepper. I don't need this thing to run over zombies but it would be nice to have something that I could use in a disaster if needed to travel.

I have been looking at the "Deuce and a half" on craigslist... Turns out what I really like is the M923 5 ton. There are some near me on craigslist and last weekend I found one just a few miles away at a place that has a few MV's for sale. They are actually a truck yard and have a trucking repair shop. One of them is an M923, NHC250, G-177 tires. Guy is asking $7500. With the help of some ether it started right up and I did get to drive it around his lot. Only has 4500 miles on the clock and appeared to be in pretty nice shape overall. Missing the cap on the fuel tank and the drivers mirror was shot. He said everything works but it looked to me like they got it off the trailer from wherever it came from and has sat since. It was purchased off govplanet.com but that's about all I know. I have searched as much as I can about owning this vehicle. Obviously it will not be a daily driver but I figure for as many times as I really NEED a truck- why not get a REAL truck?! It does appear to have the ABS because there is an ABS sticker on the window and the ABS light that was painted over with OD green.

It seems like the ones on craigslist in Maine are advertised as only needing class C license to operate. Are there any members in Maine that can tell me the process you went through to get this done and registration fees? And insurance in Maine? I want to be able to actually haul stuff once in a while so if the empty weight is 21,600lbs and it is registered to 26,000lbs I can haul 4400lbs without a problem but no more?

If i had this truck registered in Maine and no CDL needed can i drive into other states and be OK or would I then need a CDL if I were required to have one if I was registered in that particular state?

Am I being stupid for even flirting with the idea of buying a 5 ton as a toy/weekend truck? I know the mileage is dreadful and it is completely impractical but I feel like I would really get my moneys worth buying this thing over a rusted out F150. I work on my own vehicles but this monstrosity is outside of my experience thus far. The thought of it breaking down on the side of the road.. Or in my driveway. Or getting stuck somewhere is pretty intimidating.

Overall I would just love to hear some feedback of any Mainers on here who might have a 5 ton!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS , For $7500 the truck should have recent service (oil change, filters , fresh gear oil in the axles and transfer case). This sounds like a flipper that doesn't do a thing to them if it missing the fuel tank cap and looks like it was dragged off a trailer and put up for sale . Katahdin is up your way I'm sure he will chime in when he sees this thread . Don't get in a rush to buy and you will find the right truck at the right price. Be sure to watch the classifieds here.
Insurance , prepper , zombie, and cdl threads are frowned upon on SS as they ussually get out of control .
This is a good thread on insurance
[h=3]Insurance[/h]Take a look at the member map and see who is near you.
[h=1]Member Map[/h]It is also a good idea to download and read the operators manual and get familiar with 939 series 5 ton before you go look at them . TM9-2320-272-10.pdf
TM9-2320-272-10 Operations manual for the M939 series trucks. Sept 2004

ralphluby

Hi

I live in York ME and have 93 BMY 923A2 Cargo Truck. Happy to talk to you if you have questions

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 939 series of trucks are great trucks, remember they are a lot bigger than a Deuce! The G177 tires are a very good tire and with the 5 ton like a deuce you can single them out pretty easily. If you are going to drive the truck any real distance it is a much better truck to drive than a deuce is, it much quieter in the cab, has a better cruising speed, the cab is much larger and it has a 14 ft bed instead of a 12 ft. My second MV was a Deuce and I still like that truck very much but I must admit after buying my 925A1 I dont drive the Deuce any where near the amount that I used to. Like porkyplace mentioned read through the TMs on the truck and remember EVERYTHING is bigger than a Deuce, you will be buying some new tools for a 5 ton. Good luck and when I got mine I was very nervous about the automatic trans, it has been 100% trouble free for me and I have not heard of many other folks having problems with them either. Its a good truck!
KK

Sephirothq

If the fuel tank caps are missing there is a good chance there is water in the fuel. Those engines don't run too well on water. You might want to check that out before you drive it home. It might idle ok, but get it out on the road and you will have problems.

Haoleb

Thank you for the helpful posts. I did come home and download and read through the TM after I looked at the truck just do I could get an idea of what all of the stuff did. I thought that 7500 for that truck seemed like a pretty fair price compared to the ones listed on my local craigslist (not sold though) I did think about water or debris in the fuel tank since it had a duct tape cap on it. For sure I want to do a ton of research on owning and maintaining one of these trucks before jumping in.

74M35A2

I was the engineer for the Jeep TJ/XJ/WJ/KJ underhood electrical. Mostly starter, battery, alternator, and all engine sensors. Let me know if you have any questions. Check the fuel injector connector close to the throttle cable bracket on the XJ to confirm it is not rubbing. If so, just rotate the injector so it clears. I also developed a dealership fix to stop the headlamp flicker when the XJ electric fan turns on. Surge suppression module, inline. I'm getting ready to finally sell my factory manual trans equipped 1999 XJ. Been an awesome vehicle. 22mpg. Seeing what vehicles you owned got me all excited. Yes, M939's are cool, will make you popular. Get a 925A2 turbo winch truck !!!! 10mpg is not so bad, earlier versions get much less. M939 5 ton is faster and quieter than an M35. I owen a Duece for one week. Sold it and bought a 9. Check Maine CDL more closely. In MI, CDL is not required for personally owned.

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

In your place I think I would be purchasing a truck from a known member on this site. A looked after and serviced truck is the only (real) way to go for a first time purchaser. (with all the manuals read and to hand).

Haoleb

Did you end up buying one? :)
Nope, the 5 ton is really just too much truck for my uses. I would still love to have one someday but the wife said no way and she has a point. It Is a monster.

Ended up buying an M1028A2 with a deuce bed put on the back of it a little over a month ago. It was a compromise that the better half approved of and is much more practical.

Haoleb

I was the engineer for the Jeep TJ/XJ/WJ/KJ underhood electrical. Mostly starter, battery, alternator, and all engine sensors. Let me know if you have any questions. Check the fuel injector connector close to the throttle cable bracket on the XJ to confirm it is not rubbing. If so, just rotate the injector so it clears. I also developed a dealership fix to stop the headlamp flicker when the XJ electric fan turns on. Surge suppression module, inline. I'm getting ready to finally sell my factory manual trans equipped 1999 XJ. Been an awesome vehicle. 22mpg. Seeing what vehicles you owned got me all excited. Yes, M939's are cool, will make you popular. Get a 925A2 turbo winch truck !!!! 10mpg is not so bad, earlier versions get much less. M939 5 ton is faster and quieter than an M35. I owen a Duece for one week. Sold it and bought a 9. Check Maine CDL more closely. In MI, CDL is not required for personally owned.

They are both great vehicles. Love the TJ and the XJ has become my daily driver. I'll check that injector cable to see if it is rubbing. I am going to miss the TJ but I think it is time for me to sell her to pay for the new CUCV... and make some room in my driveway!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks